Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Dingwall Prima 6 IN PROGRESS!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Oct 9, 2002.

1. These pics are fresh from Sheldon Dingwall. This bass is truly exceeding what I expected. The top is Redwood Lace Burl with a Walnut/Alder Core and flamed maple accent veneer. I know that a lot of you like the in progress shots, so...ENJOY!!!

[​IMG]

Geoff

2. ...and the rear.

[​IMG]

Thanks so much Sheldon

Geoff

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    uhhh....wow....sweet top, man. looks like it's coming along nicely.

4. Looks like a very nice job.. What kind of bridge is it going to use?

5. It is a custom bridge used only on Dingwalls.

Geoff

6. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    man that thing is gonna kick all sorts of ass! congrats on it in advance:)

7. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    absolutely stunning. what are the core woods?

8. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Thats going to be a amazing bass.
    Sigh.. I really want a dingwall.. to bad I'm so poor

P.S. how much is it going to cost you

9. I am not entirely sure. There was a very similar bass at Bass Northwest a while ago that was $3800US list, I believe. This one will be a bit more, as it has a few different options, like matching wood pickup covers and matching wood cavity covers, as well as the flame maple accent veneer. I am gonna guess $4000US+.

Geoff

10. HOLY SMOKES.......
    That is more beautiful that i could have even imagined.

I remember just the other day that piece of redwood burl you had. Again Sheldon has outdone himself.

I like how he places the bass emphasizing woods on the bass side of the body and the treble emphasizing woods on the other. I just can't get over that accent line and the back is possibly more beautiful than the front. (is that top route hole for batteries?-is this a new placement?) Are the knob layout his standard setup? no acoustic pockets?

I'm glad I'm not in your shoes (anymore :) ), having to wait for this bass. Id' be climbing on a plane right now...
    Congrats Geoff
    frank
    PS. amazing looking bass

11. Frank,
    The top cavity is for the batteries, it is the standard spot. The control layout is also standard. No acoustic pockets, though I am pleasantly surprised by the arm contour. Most Dingwalls I have seen don't have that. It looks real nice and it may give my arm a better angle than on the 5 string, though I haven't really noticed it as a problem.

Geoff

12. Geoff, both of your Dingwall's are great. What shade of purple is that on your 5-string? Love it!!!!
    Also, where are those quotes on your signature from? They are very funny.

13. The quotes look like Deep Thoughts? Fuzzy Memories?

Jack Handy?

14. Geoff:
    What i did notice on my new A'burner was that the arm contour was different than my fretted A'burner. Maybe Sheldon & co are incorporating more ergonomic contouring, also the tummy curve was a bit wider and deeper (as if my belly needed more contouring).
    Also the new bass is weighted differently. The neck is slightly thicker and the body is slightly lighter, still perfectly balanced but definately different if you play the two side-by-side. I guess these basses are constantly evolving.
    Since you mention the control layout is std where is the blue cube knob going
    frank

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Beautiful!

16. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice bass so far!!!!!!!!

One question:
    How difficult is the learning curve for one of those Dingwall "funky" fretboards?????

17. Truly beautiful.

18. Learning Curve on the Dingwall fretboard is about 30-120 seconds, but you caracasbass may never learn how to play a funky fretboard!

:eek:

Running away quickly!!!

:D :D :D

19. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Dingwall dserves attention as a real innovator.

if i were in the market for an hi end bass those will be on top of the list. yours is an incredibly tasteful mix of woods!

20. I agree. It's a great design that remarkably easy to play. The frets are where your fingers just naturally go. The Dingwalls I have played sounded fantastic.

I love that redwood burl.

Congrats - and keep the pics coming!

Jeff