Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My dinner with Gard

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dave Siff, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Hey all, just got back from 12 days in Florida, the first couple of which were in Orlando. I scheduled the trip so I could catch Gard's band and also make a long-awaited trip to Bass Central. Here's the scoop!

Gard: For anyone who had any doubts, he's as nice a guy in person as he comes across on the board. My wife and I had dinner with him and his wife, and hung out at the gig, and we had a great time! Gard was also very accomodating at Bass Central. (More on that later!)

Gard's band: Rico Monaco and Sol Sons. They played at an intimate little venue in downtown Orlando called "The Social." And, they were really great! Very entertaining.. they have nine guys up there on stage, and the music is fun to listen to. It has Latin overtones, but it's funky, and it rocks. As for Gard, he blended seamlessly into the ensemble, occasionally stepping up with a cool lick, but his job is to anchor the band and he did that very well. The band was super solid, with Gard, two percussionists and a drummer nailing it down! Gard had a big, fat, warm tone on his Zon Sonus Special fretless 5 and NS electric upright 5.. he sounded great on both basses. Tito Puente Jr. showed up and joined them on timbales for a few songs. If you are able to catch a RM&SS gig, definitely do it!

Bass Central: Toys, toys, and more toys! Being in an all-bass store is definitely a cool experience. I played only a few basses, probably should have played more. My favorite by far was the Lakland Joe Osborn. What a sweet axe. When the Skyline version comes out, I am going to have a serious problem! I also tried a Skyline 55-01, and it is everything they say.. the B string is killer. If I played 5 strings, I'd have walked out with it!
    I spent most of my time A/B'ing cabinets, since BC has a lot of the higher-end brands that I've never had the opportunity to try. We set up an Eden Navigator preamp through an Eden WT-1000 power amp, and hooked up two cabinets at a time so I could do a true A/B simply by dialing the "Balance" control. I use an Eden D-410XLT, so I wanted to hear how it compared to some others. I used the Joe Osborn bass for all the testing.
    First, I did the long-awaited comparison of the D-410XLT vs. the D-410XST, which can handle more power (1000 watts vs. 700) and is supposed to have a more "hi-fi" sound. My ears liked the XLT better.. but I'm a rock player, and the XLT is said to be better for rock. Gard loves the XST.. "like someone pulled cotton out of my ears," he says! Oh well.. to each their own!
    Then, I tried the D-410XLT against the Aguilar 2x12. Uh oh. Shouldn't have done that! The Aguilar 2x12 flat out RULES! It sounded awesome.. like the XLT with a couple of extra balls. Boy oh boy, did that give me G.A.S. Oh, to have two Aguilar 2x12's and run my SM-900 in stereo! Maybe someday.
    I also tried the Aguilar 2x12 against the Epifani 2x12 and liked the Aguilar better. I'd say the Aguilar 2x12 was the hands-down winner.
    Thanks to Gard and Mark for their patience, and lugging cabinets back and forth across the store!

So, that was my trip. Go see Gard's band, go to Bass Central!!

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Gard never comes to SF when I'm in town. He's avoiding me. :D

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    OK...where's that blushing smiley??? :eek: :D

Really enjoyed your visit Dave, you and your lovely wife were great to hang out with. Wish we could have gotten together again while you were here (I'm always looking for an excuse to go to my favorite sushi place...;) ). Maybe next time...

Glad you enjoyed the band and BC, and don't worry about moving those cabs around, both Mark and I need the exercise!!!

Oh and next time, I won't hold back on the "buy me dust" that Bassmonkee was complaining about! :p

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Yes, yes I am. I know that if we ever met, I wouldn't be able to control myself....and JT would never forgive me! :eek:

:D

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    ...and all this time, i thought he was PRETENDING to be nice in an attempt to lure us all down to this fictitious bass player's utopia, "Bass Central," where, upon meeting us, he knocks us out with a truncheon and keeps us in glass cages, whereupon consciousness returns, he begins his sadistic experiments!

too bad last time i was at bass central, gard was everywhere but! the only bass i really played there he practically shoved in my hands, only to walk away...

i'll be back, you!

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thath's right, you thilly bith, you juth remember that! :D

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...or, at the very least, pick up the cd!
    Gard & the guys have an idea or two about covering a Stevie Wonder tune, too!

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Speakin' of dinner with Gard (and Kim :D), what's the low-down on y'all's visitation, JT? Last I heard was sometime in March???

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Woohoo!!! Free advertising!!!! :D

Thanks Jim, I'm mighty proud of that CD, and that tune in particular (even though we didn't write it).

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Bring out the gimp.

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    The gimp's asleep.

12. Well..then wake him up

13. yeah yeah....*yawns* i'm up, what do you guys what??

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So, are you boys an item now? How do your wives feel about this?

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    You guys rule!

:D

16. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    It's the new millenium... The wifeys probably have it all on video tape. :eek:

17. :D

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:eek::D

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    We'll be selling it on the internet soon. Wonder if Paul will let us put a link to the site here...

:eek: :D