1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Dissertations DONE!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by addylewis, Apr 24, 2006.

1. PHEW!!!

Stupidly left it till wednesday last week to start working on it.

Finished it last night at half 2 - met the deadline!:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :cool: :cool: :D

Hope I get through...

My personal tutor has been absolutely useless - I last saw him at christmas to sort out a rumour I'd heard the previous night about the thing...turns out there was a group tutorial the I didn't know about and missed... - went in and talked to my personal tutor a few days later (after we had split up for christmas break) and he set me straight...

That is all the help he has ever given me on my dissertation - fair enough, I didn't have any tutorials with him, but he never expressed any interest or concern about my dissertation in any of the other 2 lessons I had with him every week

Farir enough, I should have talked to him and it was MY responsability...but he had me TWICE a week and he knew I had to do my dissertation - he never even said ONCE "how's your dissertation going?" in passing, out of curiosity - like any other teacher I know would have... :rollno: :rollno: :scowl:

My mate was in exactly the same situation - he never spoke to this tutor either, and the tutor never approached him and (like me) he wrote the whole lot in the easter holidays...

This tutor had better pass us both for this - coz he KNOWS how much help we've NOT had from him (or anyone else for that matter...) and how we've had to do it all off our own backs - if he fails us I am gonna DECK him one for being a useless teacher and for failing me when I've recieved very little help:mad:

(hopefuly that won't happen though... :bassist: :p )

2. I hope you didn't forget to put apostrophes in your contractions!

3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Congratulations!

I wish mine would take only five days...measuring mine in years!

Marshall

4. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

What is this dissertation in?

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Mine's in on Friday. I'm writing about the characterisation of Europeans as American others in the Left Behind novels. That will suprise none of you.

6. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I thought it was going to get juicy after this....

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Congrats. Should we call you Doctor now? Or does dissertation mean something else in jolly ol' England?

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Congrats ! It must be a great relief off of you. :)

9. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I too would like to know. :)

Congratulations!

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I assume he's either doing a Ba or an Ma. The extended essay for a doctorate is called a Thesis.

11. I'm surprised that you could manage to get through any of them. For amusement, I leafed through one (the first one, I think) on a break when I was working one summer at Wal-Mart. Let it merely be said that prose doesn't come much purpler. :rollno:

12. I'm gonna be getting a BA (hons) in pop music.

My dissertation was not the typical one (I don't think...) - it was called "How have the Beatles influenced Indie/Britpop?"

Just to make it more complicated than it needed to be, in my methodology I outlawed anything pre-1968...not a great idea:rollno:

I just did what I told my tutor I was gonna do when I saw him at christmas - compare melodies, chord sequences, riffs, etc...

Concentrated on Oasis and the Verve with some info about Suede thrown in...just discussed how sections and chord sequences compared to the later Beatles stuff...

Lets hope it'll pass!