Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My DIY distorsion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Basstyra, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Ok, so after reading a lot, studiing lots of schematics, and thinking a lot about all this, here I come, here it is, my first DIY distorsion !!!

Really simple, in fact. A neutral op amp stage. 3 resistors, 2 caps, 1 opamp, 2 leds. Believe it or not, it sounds better to my ears than my Jacques Tubeblower. I found MY sound, the sound I was looking for.

I don't really understand why all the OD are that complex. Why they all have a tone control after the amp stage, not before. Before is better to control OD tone, I find.

Anyway, exit my Tubeblower, welcome to my first DIY pedal on my pedalboard !! Not finished yet, but that's details.I found the tone, the rest is details.

[​IMG]

2. I agree with that. I like to roll of some highs before I go into an OD.

3. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    In fact, lots of OD have a low pass just at the input. But not controllable. And some just roll off them in the feedback of the op amp, which isn't the same at all.

4. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    The villagers demand sound clips!

5. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Here you have :

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jumping-jack/autre/madisto.mp3

Bass alone.
    Then, max gain, open tone on the bass. I don't really like it.
    30s, I cut off the trebles on the bass. More what I'm searching for. In fact, exactly what I'm searching for.
    58s, I boost in the low with a preamp put before.
    1min24, I reopen the tone.
    1min35, pickups are dephased.
    1min56, less gain.
    2min20, bridge pickup.

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You can make a few, package them nice and pretty and sell them for $200 each. Ppl will buy them as long as it says "true bypass" on the boxes.

Execllent job. It sounds good. How do you get the metallic tone in the middle of the mp3?

7. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    man that sounds awesome! i too have been looking for a tone kind of like the fat, no treble sound that happens at 30 seconds. what other pedals can make a sound like that?

and if you are going to sell them, i think you should offer a talkbass member discount :)

well done!

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    BJF Blueberry can do every one of those tones except the super trebly ones. A Hao Rust Ride will do those other two.

9. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    In fact, I didn't find any pedal that gave me that tone, that's why I made it myself.

I'm sure there is, the two abark000 indicate for example, but here in Lyon, there is just nothing in bass OD. Boss ODB-3, Digitech bassdrive, not really my kind of stuff.

Well, you're right for the true bypas part ! :D But in fact, it's possible that I bypass it another way. I'm thinking about it.

The metallic tone in the middle... depending on what sound you speak about.

First, the trebly sound. It's just because I don't have a low pass filter in this pedal, unlike all the OD I find a schematic of. So the trebles pass trought. Allowing a nice bass/med drive while the trebles remains present.

Secondly, there is an odd sound in the middle, that's just dephased pickups. Not really common in bass, but my Vigier has this switch, and with a boost in the right frequency (still with my vigier's preamp), it sounds like that. So it's not really a sound of my OD. It just shows that with a simple stage, just controlling what you give to it allows tons of fun sounds.

Anyway, thanks all for the support. I have to find pots and knobs, to finish it, put it in a box, and I'll post photos. I begin the mass production as soon as I finish my school (2 years left) and launch my first business... :D

10. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    and we will all be right behind you!... as long as you provide the TB discount that I mentioned above :)

11. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    10% discount for TBers. ;)

12. inzeenir

inzeenir

Apr 10, 2004
    Sounds great!

13. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Thanks !

here is where I am now :
    [​IMG]

2 stages, a clean boost and a overdrive stage.

The "coluor" pot allows to cut the cap, that's what give the sound I was looking for. The 2nd on my sound sample (at 30s).

No filters appart this. Tone pot on the bass, and amp at the other end. I may add tone controls before or after, but well... We'll see later. I want a simple design right now.

It sounds really great, a little different from my Jacques Tubeblower (former Tubeblower in fact !! I allready sold it... :D ), of course, and better for my needs. Noisy, though...

Anyway, it's a great project. I'm more than happy !!!!

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You shouldn't be posting plans until you patent it :)

Unless of course, it's not yours.

Call it the Basstyra Godzilla Stomp.

15. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Patent ? Why on earth would I patent it ??? :eek:

I don't have any money to patent it, anyway ! :)

The name is chosen, it's Potentia, and I love it, I'm not changing it ! [​IMG]

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Looks good, but you forgot a couple of values.

Have you put it in a box yet? If not, the long leads and lack of grounding will be causing some of the noise.

17. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    The values not indicated are not yet chosen. ;)

Yep for the noise. I hope the box will reduce it. It did for my Big Muff mod.

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good work man!

19. VVildo

VVildo

Sep 6, 2005
    Wow. That sound at :30 is so sexy. Totally impressed over here.

How long did it take you to read up on everything to the point where you were confident in building your own? What'd it all cost so far?

20. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It would be a big change, but another way to reduce noise would be to go to inverting opamp stages rather than non-inverting. Inverting stages tend to be quieter when there is gain involved. Inverting stages can also attenuate signals, not that that really matters here. Might change the sound a bit though.

Since you have two stages, the result would not be inverted.

Just a thought, or maybe it could be Potentia II: The Sequel!