Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my DM ultra jazz Pups are humming like crazy

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by big evil robot, Feb 27, 2005.

1. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    It sounds like a ground or shielding problem, when I touch the bridge or tuning heads, the hum is gone, but if I touch the strings it just becomes faint. Though I suspect thats because I have elixers on right now.

Does anyone else have these things and have any ideas on how to get them quiet?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Never had ultra's but to my knowledge they're single J's and that's normal enough for singles when volumes aren't maxed or boosting trebles. Seems touching strings kills hum as much as touching the bridge or keys but makes sense enough that could vary with strings.

3. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    According to DM's info, they should be humbucking. I'm thinking I need to do some serious shielding.

I've found they buzz even dialed back half with the tone off.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    DM site has that flash crap and always gives me grief (or did, have new computer now), but I went to Bestbassgear and looks like they're split single hum-cancelling not HB's from what I can tell. At any rate, if you've got a meter, I'd double check all your grounds and wiring for any poor connections/cold solder joints, whatever.

You now, I could be wrong but it seems I've heard people bitch about this with some Elixirs before.

You might think about email/Pm'ing some guys that have had them if you don't get sufficient response here. A TB search would yield at least half dozen guys that have or have had them.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

by the way, there's a terminal thread called "what kind of strings do you use" that's been going for months if not years.

6. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    yeah, i gave the string forum a good read. I am normally a d'addario XL user and got these elixers as a gift, my brothers a drummer and thinks that the more money you spend on strings, the better they are.(damn drummers)
    I'll be switching back when I get my setup done next week.