Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My dog died this morning :(

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Transverz, May 9, 2005.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Strange and actually even fitting to see that someone has a new puppy. With death brings life, huh? :meh:

At 8:00am this morning my mom called me to let me know my dog had passed. Really sad. Not unexpected as "Scruffy" was 13-14 years old.

Grandma (who past away years ago) gave the dog to me and my sister as I was just starting high school. That little puppy had lots of personality. A really cool dog. Not because it could retrieve things or beat up other dogs, or even listened all too well. But she was always there when you needed her and gave life to the house. A really fun friend to have around.

As I grew up, graduated from high school and college, got a job and generally the family wasn't in the house too much anymore, the dog wasn't getting enough attention. So we decided to have the house behind us (our uncle and aunt and kids) to keep the dog. They loved her so that was cool. From there, I saw her about once a week or so. Sometimes less. She loved it when she saw any of us again while she was getting walked. We'd always be busy off to go somewhere and only had time for a quick pet and rub. On rare days off I'd spend time just sitting on the porch with her if I saw my aunt or uncle. Those days were the best. Just chillin' with an old friend pretty much.

Well, she just kept getting slower, less agile, couldn't make it up the steps anymore, wasn't running as fast, and all those other things you notice when the family friend ages. I always hated helping her up the steps or back into my aunt's house. I felt even at those times she was slipping away.

That lasted a couple years and today I awoke with messages on my phone saying she past away. It was just yesterday too she spent a little time at my house for some reason, and was sleeping the whole time, which now that I think about it, makes sense. They say she spent the night shivering and whining. They thought she was just cold. The next morning she was past next to her water dish.

We thought about burying her but eventually thought that wasn't the best idea, with other animals roaming about and to pass by that spot everyday would probably sadden us to no end. Plus she seemed more deserving than just to get buried in the dirt backyard. So cremation we thought was the nicest way to say goodbye to an old friend and companion.

I guess I wrote out all of this to make you hug and enjoy your dog, cat, turtle, bunny, and other extensions of the family a little bit more than usual. We all get caught up in life's daily hustles and bustles, but let's not forget there is a little pal at home waiting patiently all day for you to come through the door. I guess this extends to all other people, places, and things in life as well.

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm very sorry to hear that. It's always rough to lose a pet. I really like what you said about taking time out to spend with your pet, friends, family, etc..You never know what great memories you might be missing.

3. I'm gonna go hug my stupid cats- & the neighbors' cat as well.

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Sorry to hear that, at least he lived to a ripe ole age.

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    that sucks, man.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am sorry to here of your loss.

7. Yes, I know exactly how you feel.
    Lost mine while on Vacation...that made me really sad that I was not there for her in her last hours. But, had I have been it would have been really hard on me and my family as we really loved that Dog.

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

Marshall

9. Animals can't speak to us with words, but they let us know things in other ways.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, Transverz, but from your story we can all tell she was loved.

Mike :(

10. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Please accept my deepest sympathies. I lost two of my cats last year and I still miss them both.

11. I'm sorry you lost your friend. I lost a great friend last week as well. Remember the good times and they'll live forever in your heart.

12. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I'm very sorry to hear that. And I feel your pain. I lost my little buddy a week ago today. The old girl just couldn't go on anymore after fifteen years. I'm just thankful she was in pretty good health almost right up to the very end. I sure miss her, though. I took the name tag from her collar and screwed it to the front of my beat up old Franken bass. Kinda cheesy to some... but then so am I.

Matt

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that, man. It's is tough to lose an animal friend. I lost my cockatoo back around Christmas, and it hurt almost as bad as losing my Dad.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My condolences. :( :(

15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been there (just recently, even), and it's never easy. My condolences.

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i am so sorry for your loss

:(

17. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Excactly. Best wishes to you and your family.

18. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Sorry to hear that... My deepest condolences. I couldn't imagine life without my little fuzz buddy. He's my best friend on the planet. It's funny, but yesterday he led me to a injured hedgehog that we took to the vet. Animals are precious...

19. my sincerest thoughts to you, mate.

20. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks all for your kind thoughts and words. I know it's not like I lost a parent or a sibling or anything like that...my heart definitely goes out to those who have had this experience and I probably cannot imagine what this would be like. But as everyone knows, losing someone close to you is always hard. You all are right though to say that in memories they all live on where they will always be.

Thanks again all...