1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My dog has an inoperable tumor.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by McHaven, Sep 17, 2008.

1. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I got a call from my mom back home this morning. She found my dog unconscious in the backyard this morning. When she took her to the vet, they found a large tumor growing on her lungs.

She's so old that it's almost certain that if they operate, she'll die. But if they don't operate, she'll die in 2 days.

She had been sick the last few days, but it seems they never found the tumor. They just thought she was a bit anemic.

Now I'm 200 miles away, without the opportunity to drive home due to lack of funds and assignments getting in the way.

Now my parents have to decide if they operate, and possibly kill her now, or wait until she dies naturally. Or they may just put her down. I don't think we have the money to operate anyway.

This sucks.

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah. Good luck with that. I'm dreading when this time comes with my dog. He just turned 10.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Really sorry to hear that man. Peace be with you, and may she go without suffering.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Wow, sorry to hear the sad news. We opted to put our last dog down when we faced a similar situation. Hopefully you have a photo or two you can keep around for the memories.

-Mike

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm sorry to hear that. :(

IMO, it's time to make the decision to let her go peacefully and quickly.

6. It always hurts when our animals suffer. They love unconditionally & forgive nearly anything.

7. im sorry to hear that. if you can please post a picture of her.

8. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I wish I could, I don't have any with me at school and I can't find any online. It's remarkable how few pictures I think we ever had of her.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm still waiting on another call from my parents to find out what decision they make.

9. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    I am very sorry!! I'm still bumming after putting one of my buds down last March.

It is a tough decision but (and it is only MY opinion) you should put her down at this point... older dogs don't have too much quality of life after a major operation like that.

Whatever your decision... good luck!!

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It sounds like you may have no good options here. Odds are very good that your dog's time is up - no matter which way you go. Best route now may just be to minimize her pain & discomfort as best you can, with a peaceful passing at a moment of your own choosing.

I remember my first dog. Our family got her when she was just a wee puppy, and I was only four years old. She lived to be 15 years old, making me 19 years old when we finally had her put down.

It had to be done - she couldn't keep food down any longer, couldn't control her bladder, could barely even walk anymore. In truth, we probably should have done it even a little earlier. But once she was finally gone, I cried like a little girl for days... :bawl:

Peace,

MM

11. I went through this a couple of years ago. Don't make your loyal friend suffer anymore. Like Mystic said......minimize the suffering. Have her put to rest.

12. My best wishes to you and your friend.

13. I'll second this. It's tough as hell, but it really is for the best. I've been there, and most certainly will be there again in the future.

If and when you can, post some pics of her.

14. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I'm practically certain that my parents will have her put to sleep. It's just so hard to think that it's something that has to be done. I think I'm just kind of upset with myself, since I can't be there for her and therefore don't want to have her put to sleep yet.

15. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I feel for you, man. A couple years ago, my Yellow Lab started having horrible seizures. Turned out she had a brain tumor. We had to euthanize her. I still can get teary-eyed remembering how I held her and talked to her while they did it. But in my heart, I know we did the right thing. She was suffering terribly. I'll keep you in my prayers...

16. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    My best friend and I have/had litter mates. He had to put his dog down a few months ago due to an inoperable tumor growing on her skull. It was growing so fast and growing into her brain. The vet told him there was absolutely nothing that could be done. I talked to my vet about it and she told me that there are certain breeds that are more susceptible to cancer (name any breed and there are health issues related to that breed).

It's difficult to make such a decision but humanely ending the suffering for your dog would probably be the best decision.

Sorry to hear of this.

17. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Sorry 'bout that. Our 11 year old Bassett has what the vet believes to be fatty tumors that are growing larger by the week, one on the side of her leg and one in her hind quarters right next to where her tail starts. The one on her leg is the size of a plum, the one on her back end, a small orange. We hope they are fatty tumors as they say. She doesn't seem affected in any way, still running around crazy as ever. She's getting them removed in a month.

18. My uttmost condolences my friend. Thats sucks that they can' t operate, but at least your dog lived a happy life. Nothing can replace a good dog.

19. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm very sorry.

Marshall

20. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    It's hard when we have to let our friends go.
    Find peace and joy in good memories.