1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Dog Has Cancer

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AQUANOVA, May 10, 2006.

1. My 13 year old Boston Terrier "Panda" has just been diagnosed with cancer.:(

The Oncologist that I saw today is suggesting Radiation.

Has anyone here ever had a pet go through Radiation Therapy? What was your experience?

2. Hey sorry to hear about that, Aquanova.

My dog has never had cancer, but a family friends' dog had it in her brain a year or two ago. After numerous episodes of chemo and stuff, I believe they got rid of it. I haven't seen the friend or the dog in a long time, so I'm not really sure.

I hope your dog makes it through ok.
    -Alex

3. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    Sorry to hear about your dog:( I have got a dog whos now 11 comming up 12, weve had him since he was 5. My dog luckily hasnt had cancer or anything. But still, I know how you feel, when you have a dog you get a special bond with them. Hope everything works out fine:)

4. I don't wish to come across like an ass. But 13 years sounds like a good run for a dog. Think of all the pain and discomfort Panda's going to have to go through- and not be able to communicate it to you. I went through a pet's terminal illness last year. My 13 year old cat Zen had a disease that would cause the space around her lungs to fill with fluid. Every few days to a week I had to bring her in to have her chest tapped and remove that fluid- she wasn't enjoying life, and was, in fact, completely miserable. For all the struggling to give her her medication, for all the pain she had to endure, we maybe added a week on to her life. It sucked.

Think realistically about how long Panda's lifespan would be naturally.

Think of how long of a very difficult recovery Panda will be facing.

It honestly may be the best thing to think about putting him/her down. I don't mean to sound cold, but as a loving "pet parent" you need to think of what's best for your friend, and less of yourself.

I would also suggest that you be with Panda when it's time- he/she's been your unwavering friend for 13 years, the last thing you should do is make him/her go alone.

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    My dog's never been through Rad Tx. but I have. Does that count?

Ain't nuthin. Maybe a little localized hair loss, maybe a little dry skin at the Rad site.

It's quick. It's painless. It's not debilitating and it beats the heck out of chemo.

6. I'm sorry man. I know how it feels to get really attatched to pets. I love my dog. She's as close to a friend as any human could be. I hope it all works out with you and your dog.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Well that turned out badly... sorry you didn't get your wish :meh:

AQUANOVA: 13 isn't too old for a terrier... best wishes for a speedy recovery.

8. That's true, however I gave an honest and respectful answer within the realm of my experience.

I don't pretend to know the rates of success in treating animals for cancer, however a lady I worked with 5 years ago had cancer in her neck and face which was being treated through Rad Onc. She had burns on her face and neck and the cancer advanced into her sinuses, she could no longer work, and after she left work I have not heard from her in 5 years. No disrespect meant to any cancer survivors.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    On the contrary, I think it was as tactfully phrased as it could be.

10. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks! In Memoriam

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I'm going through radiation now. The amount of burns depends on the amount of radiation. I have what looks like a sunburn where the radiation is directed. It only appeared after 3 weeks of radiation. Luckily I only have 2 weeks to go...........

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

11. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

With no disrespect to anyone here, as both TGB and James
    are friends, I tend to agree with The Golden Boy here.

IME I have had a vet before who would pull out all the stops
    and suggest very expensive treatments for elderly pets.
    My current vet is much more pragmatic, and really makes the
    call for me when that time comes. My wife has always had pets
    since before I met her, and as a result I have dealt
    with losing 4 pets so far. None of it was easy. Looking back at it,
    there was one pet we should have put down earlier,
    but it was hard and we were selfish in wanting her to be
    here longer.

I agree that the lifespan of the smaller dogs can be a little
    longer, but in reality, your vet should be giving you an honest
    assessment of the chances of recovery, of the quality of life
    of your pet, and what is a realistic expectation of the
    dog's lifespan, given the current situation. If he or she is
    not giving you the straight scoop on that, get another vet.

The bottom line is that your answer isn't going to be found
    here, but we will be happy to support you no matter what
    decision needs to be made.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Ouch, that is a bummer. We were not in a position to afford the cancer treatment a few years ago for our dog. We had to put him down. I was so sad for days.

-Mike

13. Thank you all for your thoughtful, honest and caring responses.

My family and I have decided not to pursue radiation therapy for our beloved Panda. We don't want him to suffer.

I will be seeing another Vet that is going to help us make the end as easy as possible, for us and Panda. I will be holding him on that day.

Pandas life philosophy has always been
    "Run fast and Bark Loud". He is a very very good boy. :bawl:

Here are some photos.

fb320899.

2755ab93.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    As a dog lover, I'll admit, this got me a little misty eyed. I'm so sorry, but it's clear how much you love your dog, and therefore it's clear Panda lead a good life. Still, best wishes. :(

15. Thank you Matt,

Panda no longer gets dog food.
    It's people food only, and as much as he wants.
    Ice cream also.

He also gets extra walks and lots of back scratches and tons of love. We're keeping him happy.

It will be hard on our 14 year old daughter. We got Panda when she was a baby. It will also be hard on my husband. This is the first dog he has ever had.

Being the mom, I'm trying to keep it all together.
    I guess there can be no real joy in life without pain.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

:)

17. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

The good side is that the Joy has far exceeded the pain in
    this case.

18. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    This might sound crazy but before giving up hope you might want to try some Goji juice? True story: A lady here had her dog diagnosed w/ cancer (on it's tongue I believe) and she's been giving it goji juice a few times a day, whenever she feeds it...long story short - she took it back to the vet and the cancer is now in remission. Wild, eh?

19. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    great, now it is a cure for cancer too? goji is the basis of a pyramid scheme, similar to amway. I had a customer pitch it to ME. Ever have to tell your customer to **** off? I did.

Back on topic.....very sorry to hear of this. I went through the same thing with my first dog a few years ago, she was 5. The only regrets I have in how I handled it is the fact that I put her through so much with the diagnosis and such. Had chemo been a possiblilty, I may have persued it, but it was so far advanced that it was eating into her organs and such. I wish I hadn't had her cut open to check out the mass, it just made her last days miserable. She went from a perfectly happy, excited golden retriever, to dead within a week. She too, got the good food. I took her through mcdonalds and got her a double cheeseburger and an order of nuggets on her birthday, which was one of her last days. When she passed on the nuggets, I knew the time was there.

Very sorry to hear that, enjoy your time together.

20. An update.

On May 25th we had our sweet dog Panda put to sleep.

My husband, myself and our 14 year old daughter were there holding him. We were all crying.
    I don't remember ever feeling so helpless and sad.
    When the doctor gave him the shot we were all telling him how much we loved him and what a good boy he was.
    I told him it was time for him to go home now and that everything was going to be ok.
    It only took about 15 seconds. It was a peaceful thing.
    Not scary. Just very sad.

I'm grateful to the doctor for being there to perform this type of service.
    She was kind and professional even though she was obviously moved by our emotional behavior.
    I can't imagine doing a job like that every day without becoming very depressed. Thank goodness for people like her.

We were told that there was no charge for this service. So I sent the doctor a thank you note and a $300.00 donation to the clinic.

I bet he's running around up there peeing on every tree in heaven.

724deb1c.