1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Doorbell on Jools Holland

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tomhanzo, Sep 30, 2009.

1. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    Here is a sweet vid i found. I love the White Stripes and this is a great song of theirs.

My Doorbell

I was also wondering if you guys could figure out what pedals were used on the bass. I can tell the chorus part of the song is a muff, but what is that little overdrive during the verse?

2. sounds linda like the Devi Dark Boost

3. ase_one23

ase_one23

Oct 23, 2008
    Glasgow
    as the recent recipient of your old darkboost i concur - i can get a pretty similar tone through mine, maybe not quite as smooth.

4. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    is there anything easier to find or cheaper?

5. ase_one23

ase_one23

Oct 23, 2008
    Glasgow
    hmmmm, it's difficult to get that dark sound through eq alone, what amp and bass are you using?

maybe something tubey like an english muffn?

possibly even a bad monkey? they've got a fairly dark tone too.

6. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    what bass is that? it looks great!

7. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    also I think the uses the sames pedals as his guitar rig =/ that would be whammy pog and big muff

8. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Dunno, but Jools on the keys sounds really cool for this song.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Jools should have been a superstar. I guess he is in England. Anyway, that just sounds like Fender Twins slightly cranked providing OD. Jools is carrying the low end on the piano.

Gibson EB-2, BTW.

10. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Big +1.

I have liked almost every thing that he has done, either on his show or otherwise.

11. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The only fuzz I know of Jack White using is a modded(?)/rehoused Big Muff. I've never had a Muff that sounded like that on bass, but I don't play a hollowbody with a pick through a vintage rig so who knows?

I also really dig Jools Holland. Great player. That said, even with the fuzz bass and the great organ playing, this version is softer sounding than the simpler but very punchy original version.

And as I generally point out, there is something very sexy (to me) about Meg White when she plays drums.

12. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    +1 she plays drums in a very sexy way most girl drummers are some kind of rude when playing but she is gentle :smug: she is one the most sexy girls that play an instrument (for me)

13. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    I agree 100% about Meg. She is such a looker.

I have a Tube Zipper, Hot Tubes, and a Bad Monkey. I think i can get all that from them. I was just Curious. Its such a cool tone.

Also, I play a Squire Telebass through one of the new Acoustic 15" combos. I have to say im very happy with my tone and rig. I am getting ready to put pics up on the board section.

14. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    don't forget the clips I would like to hear how a Telebass sounds with effects

15. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    I dont have any way of doing clips, but my band is recording this weekend. I have a couple songs where i play bridges with my fuzz and just drums. I will post a thread of it.

The Telebass with most dirt pedals sounds just like the ones of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Deep, Boomy, Rich, and Amazing ;)