1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My double bass arrives tomorrow and I have to set it up. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by J_Bass, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Oh, forgot to ask.. you have a bow? If not, don’t even think about not having one :)
    It will help you with thousands of ways. Bowing the bass will open it up and you also need to adjust your intonation with your new axe. So hurry and get a bow if you don’t have one already. You’ll get a playable one from Thomann, too.

J_Bass likes this.
  2. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Yes, I bought a bow, a cheap one, but with good reviews from other buyers. It is a Alfred Stingl by Höfner AS22 BG3/4 German.

Thank you for the suggestion. I am taking lessons and focusing on pizzicato, because I really want to learn to play Jazz. But when I pickup the bow, even not having a clue of what I am doing, the sound is wonderful.

I love classical music too, I have classical education on piano, so that is an area that I definitely want to explore in my bass.

3. Very nice to hear. You also want to play that jazz pizz in tune ;)
    I actually bougt the same bow a couple of years ago as a backup. It’s not bad at all, quite opposite. Even hair & easy to get a decent sound. My main bow is longer and is haired with black hair, very different. I’ve been practising lately a lot with the A.S. bow, it’s not so loud as the main bow but does the job just fine.

J_Bass likes this.
  4. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    That' good to hear, thanks for the feedback.

"You also want to play that jazz pizz in tune ;) "

Ahah, very well put!

5. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    IMG_20181117_082143.
    "OH my God! Is this how a bass should sound? What have you been doing to me?! Help!!"

rknea likes this.