my DPCustom is done...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Nov 22, 2001.

1. here it is.. dave just needs to inlay the straploks and it's on the way to me...

walnut core, zebrawood top/back, m/w/m neck, pau ferro fingerboard, passive barts with coil splitter, my own shape.... tell me what you all think..
  2. I always was partial to walnut and zebrawood. With those woods and the Barts you should be able to get a nice tone.

3. I like the wood choices, the neck, and the headstock. But the upper horn is just kinda.........ugly:(. But tell us how it sounds. Looks don't matter as long as it sounds good.
  4. the longer horn is for balance. the body is smaller, and i didn't want it to be totally neck heavy...
  5. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    It's not so much the length as the shape. :) Anyway, congrats on the new bass!
  6. I think itr looks really cool. What does zebrawood soundlike? I've only heard of zebrawood tops, never the whole body.
  7. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    actually, IMO, it is one of the nicer customer designs I've worked on...maybe the photo doesn't do it person, it "works" as a shape.....nicely done.:)

Dave P.
  8. Hi Dave,

I always wanted to let you know, I think you should get a good quality Digi Camera.

Cause I'm sure many of the photos of DP custom here do not do it justice. So to be fair, get yourself a nice digi cam man!:D
  9. i'm surprised, there aren't forty thousand different knobs and switches like i've seen on alot of dp customs. it looks good. the shape is kewl it's just that i'm not a huge fan of zebrawood. but hey as long as you like it than there's nothing wrong with it.
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I think it is neat.. I like the pup selection you chose.. hope you enjoy it dude
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think this is excellent advice. At least 2 megapixel.. it would be $200 well spent:D
  12. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Actually the body of this one is walnut, but I second the question: zebrawood as a body wood?
  13. fukingus,

sweet man, make sure you tell us how it plays, and sounds when you get it.

yeah fukingus sent me some other photos he had of it, in a different light and different angle, and it looked pretty cool:cool: .
  14. guest

Nov 14, 2001
    nice one , I can see an inlay but not quite clear.
    What does it represents ?
  15. hey fukingus,

I don't remember if you told me in those emails, but what kind of hardware did you get? I know you got the wide spaced bridge, but what kind?

man, seems like dave is cranking out the work here lately. hope he finds time to work on mine:D .
  16. to chump stain: the bridge is hipshot and the tuners are dave's "standard".... the bass will be tried out a gig on dec. 8th. i'll have a better idea of the sound after that.. other than that, be patient with dave. you are getting one-on-one service here. if you know what you want, dave will do his best to make you happy. highly recommended..

to guest: inlays are my initials.. kinda cheesy, but it's my first custom and i don't plan on selling it.. one thing dave was cool with me about was the fret marker pattern i wanted. i'll put another photo up showing what i mean. ..for music and photos..
  17. here's the fretboard photo with the fret marker pattern and inlay i wanted.

i chose the woods based on reading and just plain trying out different basses. i recommend reading the information about different woods at the section on wood types is pretty damn good. i chose walnut for clear highs, and the zebrawood for defined lows and mids. pau ferro is a great fretboard wood. i play passive because i'm able to control a lot of my tone with my fingers, or a pick in certain situations. i depend on my attack to give the tone, not just souped-up electronics. nothing against active, it's just not for me.
  18. guest

Nov 14, 2001
    I must say ; the fret dots are very original

thumbs up
  19. guest

Nov 14, 2001
    This is my inlay ; mercurius sign. a reference to
    my date of birth. I won't sell this bass either.