1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Dream Amp Set-up - Thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gary-Love Low, May 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    I now have a Peavey 300 watt Bass Combo Amp. I am pretty satisfied with sound and set up. But I want more and maybe better..... (Class D for me). I want to purchase an 800 Watt Ampeg class D amp. A 450 watt Ampeg HE 15" Cabinet with 1" horn, A 400 watt Ampeg LF 15" bottom Bass Cabinet. I love 15" speakers and the lightweight class D set ups. My idea is to use the 800 watt Amp and only the 450 watt cab with horn on smaller to midsize gigs that I do most of the time. When I play outside or in big venue .... I would use all of it ! The Amp is 4 ohm and cabinets are both 8 ohm. My only worry would be overpowering the single 450 watt cab in the small venues. I am inexperienced in this area. I do not want to by the 500 watt amp and regret not getting the 800 watt down the road. Money wasted to buy smaller Amp, only to want bigger one down the road. I also do not want to mix and match different brands. I just want a good solid set up from the get go ! I am also thinking of spending the extra $150.00 extended coverage for the Amp and the 1st Cabinet....just in case of problems or Blow-out, The Warranty (Pro Coverage) does say it covers mishaps at Guitar Center. Am I being wise here....??? Thoughts Please...???

Old Garage-Bander and BadExample like this.
  2. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
  3. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    I think You are giving Me a Thumbs up ! You also realize I have a bad back !!! Thanks for your thoughts Friend !!!

BadExample likes this.
  4. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Jimmy is da Ampeg man! He should know if those 15's square up well.

I have 5 bad disks and counting!

LowActionHero and Gary-Love Low like this.
  5. I have a PF800 and it’s great for the classic Ampeg tone. It’s only 400W into and 8 ohm cab, so it shouldn’t overpower the single 115 as long as you don’t crank the bass beyond what the speaker can handle.

Gary-Love Low likes this.
  6. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    So this does mean that the 800 watt amp will send 400 watts to each cabinet right...? Ran in Parallel... One other thing, the back of the 800 Ampeg does have 2 outputs correct...? The one is 1/4 inch the other the round plug. Does the round plug accept a 1/ inch straight plug also....???

7. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    1/4 " I mean...

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Add an HPF and you'll be good when you use one cab (or two). @JimmiyM can school you.:)

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  9. I don't have any personal experience with High Pass Filters, or I would have recommended one myself... It's on my shopping list though.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  10. Yes. When you run both cabinets it will be a 4 ohm load, and the PF800 will send 400w to each cabinet. Since the PF800 only has one 1/4" output and the PF cabs do not have Speakon inputs, the easiest way to connect both speakers would be to run a 1/4" speaker cable from the head to the first cab, then a second 1/4" speaker cable from the first cab to the second cab.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  11. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    It will send 400 watts to both cabinets ....coming from 1st cabinet hook up.....It would still be a parallel hook up....?

12. Yeah, this is industry standard. On nearly every cab that has multiple inputs, the inputs are wired in parallel. This allows you to run speaker cables from head to cab, then cab to cab.

13. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    I could get 1 cable with "speaker on" on 1 end and 1/4" male on the other end too.....Right?

14. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    Cool....Not sure....Never had 2 cabinets before....Thanks !

patrickhowell likes this.
  15. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Don't worry too much about matching amp power, and cab ratings- You can hear when you're doing something dumb.
    Very few (if any) extended warranties cover burnt voicecoils, or really any form of speaker failure do to overpowering. Warranties are made to cover manufacturing defects.

16. CalBuzz51

CalBuzz51 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Most amps are 1/2 the power at 8ohms than the rating at 4ohms, so from a theoretical standpoint your setup matches well for single or double cab setup.

One caveat, I would err heavily on the double cab configuration, if the space gets large or the band is even medium loud. A single 15 even well matched with amps output still might be the easiest cab to blow. But it sounds like you're preparing for flexibility. IME two cabs sounds way better than one, even at lower volume. Plus, the closer the cab is to your ears (stacked) the less volume you need in order to be able to hear yourself.

Mediocrity Man and Gary-Love Low like this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't depend on numbers to save your bacon. Depend on your ears and Common Sense.

18. CalBuzz51

CalBuzz51 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Clarifying: when I stated a 15 might be easiest to blow, I mean due to increased expectations, rather than technically.

19. "The Warranty (Pro Coverage) does say it covers mishaps at Guitar Center." Whaaaa!
    Does that mean only if you are at GC when you have the mishap, that is the only time it's covered? ;)

FWIW... It is conceivable that you could blow a speaker even with both cabs connected. So as has been advised by the wise one, use your ears. On the other hand, having the larger amp gives you more headroom. Headroom is power that you don't use, or more importantly don't have to try to wring every last little bit of, out of an amp. Better (and easier) to have it and turn down than to need it and try to stretch the limits of a smaller amp.

Gary-Love Low and Jewce like this.
  20. Buy the 800 watt Ampeg and the 2 15's for big gigs and keep the 300 watt combo for smaller ones. NEVER GET RID OF ANYTHING.

Kriegs, Gary-Love Low, 2tonic and 3 others like this.