1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Dream Bass - Is it Possible

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JJT247, Jan 12, 2012.

1. JJT247

JJT247

Jan 24, 2009
    My dream bass is a super modded rickenbacker - Silverburst finish with 6 strings (with a new neck obviously) would it be physically possible (although incredibly expensive)

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned SUSPENDED

Better off finding a custom builder. Ric has a terrible track record with 5 strings, and although they made a few Bass VI style 6-strings, I'm guessing that's not what you want.

I suppose you could wait for a lawsuit-era copy to come up on eBay and have a 6 string bolt-on neck modded to fit. Then send it to someone like Marty Bell for finish.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I would rock a 6 string Ric. I think the hardest part would be the bridge pickup bezel/cover and bridge. If you'd be okay with a standard looking bridge and soap bar pickups, it should be fairly straight forward (if you find a builder willing to do it).

FYI / FWIW: I play a 6 string slab bodied P bass... it's the standard Fender shape widened about an inch to make room for the neck width.

4. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009

A new neck, yep, but think of it more as practically a whole new body.

Ric's are neck through, which is not the same as a set neck.

This picture gives an idea how the wood is sandwiched together.

[​IMG]

It would require removing each "wing" from the old neck and fastening on the new, wider neck.

Of course it could be done with enough time/skill/money. :)

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    But even if someone were to go that route there's the matter of hardware and electronics. You can buy the Ric bridge and the Hipshot replacement Ric bridge for a four string but I don't believe a five string version is offered, let alone a six string.

And the pickups (and covers) are designed for a four string bass. If you wanted that same sound/vibe you'd need to go the custom route.

Again, anything is possible, but it would take some significant work.

6. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Aug 3, 2005
    I would suggest cleaving the bass in half, right down between the two trussrods. This would of course be done after the fretboard had been removed, not to mention all the hardware.

Insert a new center-section of appropriate width and make a new fretboard. Install all new hardware. Tuners might have to be more modern, smaller ones to fit on the headstock.

I would be expensive as heck, but I'd love to see someone do it! :D

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    That can be done ...

6%20string%20Rick%20092.

6%20string%20rick%20047.

6%20string%20rick%20019.

8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned SUSPENDED

Wow! That gotta be 110% custom, right down to the bridge! Who would want to custom build such a poorly designed bridge? Pain enough for a 4 string, how about we add 50% more PIA to adjust your intonation!?

I'd still play the bejeebus out of it, and I don't play 6 strings anymore.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Ya that is a custom build

10. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

May 25, 2009
    Stavenisse
    One of the most pretty basses I have ever seen. And I do not fancy a regular 4 string rick..

11. I saw a pic of Phil Lesh playing a blue 6 string Ric once, probably in Bass Player. I imagine it was a custom job too.

12. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    +1

I'm don't really like Ricks or 6-strings, but that thing is seriously cool.

13. you could probably save an enormous amount of money by having a luthier start with one of the Carvin 6-string neck through blanks.

14. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I was just thinking that myself. A great mind thinks alike lol