My Dream Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uncle Amos, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    Just to get it all down on paper:

I plan on attempting a 5 string P/MM project sometime in the near future. As of now, this is my plan:

-P bass body (most likely SX)
    -RW Jazz neck with mother of pearl blocks (warmoth, maybe)
    -tuners would be 3 over, 2 under (matching headstock!)
    -P pup (researching different brands..)
    -SD MM pup (either ceramic or alcino. not sure yet)
    -5 string Badass III bridge

as far as electronics go (in no particular order):
    -Master Volume (pull to bypass EQ and run passive)
    -3 band cut/boost EQ w/mid freq. sweep
    -Tone for passive mode
    -3-way selector switch (P/P-MM/MM)
    -blend knob for when the switch is in the middle position (maybe asking too much? I think it would be very handy to be able to put a bit of the MM pup in the P pup signal or vice-versa)
    -3-way mini toggle for switching the MM pup SC/parallel/series.

Whew! Now I'm wondering how I'd fit all that in one bass! I think that that would be all I'd ever need in a bass. In theory, I'd be able to get a tone-rolled-off P bass thump, a bright, snappy, aggressive MM tone, and everything in between.

Please reply, as I'm interested in what you guys have to say.
  2. Go the Valenti route and have him work on the instrument for you.
  3. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    that's the plan. I don't want to screw anything up, like I know I would. Although I'd love to work on it my self, I have no where near the talent nor tools to attempt such a project. Eventually I'd like to get to the point where I can do any mods to my basses myself, as well as doing mods for other people, such as Mr. Valenti does.

so in short I will be doing business with Mr. Valenti sometime in the foreseeable future. :D
  4. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    I don't want this color combination, but that is the basic control layout.

Attached Files:

5. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Looks like a great idea, and I hope she turns out to be just what you wanted. I had my friend mod 2 basses for me cause he is in an Electronic's class at the school I go to and he did an excellent job. I'd love to someday do a MM Project, if only Rondomusic would get in a MM copy! Anyways good luck with it and congrats!
  6. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    yeah! I'd definitely use a SX MM for this project if/when it ever comes out.