1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Dream Combo... Finally!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by portaflexer, Mar 18, 2009.

1. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well... I don't if anyone else feels this way, but for years I have tried to find the perfect combo. Something that is powerful, light, loud, portable, looks good, versatile, affordable, and high quality. Something you could use for jam sessions, small gigs, and practice, but still play a medium sized gig if you had to. I have had a lot of trouble finding something like this.

About a month ago, I had an idea... and I worked with Don at Low Down Sound to make my idea a reality. Well... here's what we ended up with: 100% made in the USA, 500 W of Carvin power (at 4 ohms), TUBE PREAMP, 2 Legend 10's, a Selenium horn, Just over 50 lbs, black tolex, pop-out casters, and a helluva lotta volume! Here's the best part... both LDS and Carvin make great products for reasonable prices. I have less than $850 wrapped up in the combo.

This thing is illogically loud. I can't believe that much sounds comes out of such a small box. I think this little amp could conquer just about any gig you throw at it. Thanks to Don at LDS for all the phone calls, emails, and exchanged sketches. I'm thrilled with the results and had to post some pics.

IMG_3805.

IMG_3808.

IMG_3812.

IMG_3813.

IMG_3819.

IMG_3820.

2. Wow, that's a cool idea. Looks nice.

3. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

That is too freakin sweet!

4. sanfan

sanfan

Jan 21, 2007
    What brand of speakers did you load it up with?

5. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks fellas. I've only had it for a couple days now... but I am blown away so far!

6. Scott McArron

Scott McArron Supporting Member

that's pretty cool! Does that little amp slot fit any 2-space amp or does the carvin have custom ears? I like the idea of a cab that you can plug any typical 2 space amp into. Well done! Let us know how it sounds on the gig.

7. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes sir! Standard 2U rack mount. It will fit any 2U rack head up to 12" deep. I did that on purpose. That way I can swap it out down the line if I need to. It has both speakon and 1/4" too, so I can even look at vintage stuff. Oh... and for the record... the Thunderfunk TFB series will fit. I measured it. ;)

8. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Now that's cool and different. Kind of an SWR blk Beauty design but way more flexible.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Let us know how it goes at rehearsal and your next gig.

10. the engine

the engine Guest

Really nice! Looks like you put some real thought into it! Good luck with it!

11. Well I think I know what my next big purchase will be. ;) Congrats!

12. There's no dancing around it -- that looks like an awesome little combo!

-jb

13. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    If it sounds half as good as it looks, you got yourself a very nice combo!

14. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    Quoting everyone on the thread, yes, that looks awesome. Let us know how it sounds in action!

I pulled a similar stunt with my combo. I bought a GK backline 2x10 and swapped out the stock speakers for a pair of Eminence CA2010's w/ neodyme mags. That dropped the ohm load on the amp from 8 to 4 so I'm running at 300 watts instead of 180, and the amp is now ten pounds lighter because of the neodyme magnets. I've used it at three gigs so far and it sounds awesome. Easily keeps up w/ my lead player's Mesa Stilleto and only weighs about as much as his head does.

15. ttmnky

ttmnky

Nov 12, 2007
    That is simply beautiful.

I've been looking into upgrading my combo (SWR LA15), and wanted your exact specifications.

Does the Carvin allow another extension cab to be paired up? If so, that would be amazing.

500watts in 50lbs... mindblowing...

16. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Looks great. How does venting work for the head?

17. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Looks good. Now you need a cover to keep it looking that way! Luckily with that head, you can run an extension cab if you need it too. I like it.
    Wes

18. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If the amp gets too hot, all of the electrolytic capacitors vent...

Actually, it appears as though the bottom back of the cabinet is open (note the exposed Speakon connector). Air can flow through the amp as intended. Although...I don't recall (in the BX500) whether the air flows in and out of the back of the amp or in the back and out the front. However Carvin does house the chassis in their combo amps, just not vertically.

19. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I'm wondering how the vertical position of the head will effect the way the fan operates?

20. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks for all the compliments guys. I should get the chance to try it out with my drummer this weekend. I'll give a full report then. For now, I'll try to answer all the questions.

It's loaded with 2 Eminence Legend 10's and a selenium (not sure of the manufacturer) horn.

Yes, the venting does flow front to back and does have plenty of room. This was a concern and I asked Carvin about it. To make the cab more versatile, Don put the removable panel on the back (held on by 4 screws). That way, if you had a side/top venting head, you could remove the panel to allow for better cooling, and still not affect the rack rails.

This is a 4 ohm cab and don't plan on using it with an extension cab. However, the Carvin is 2 ohm stable if I ever change my mind. :) Don could've easily made this a standard 8 ohm cab and then it would be more versatile. I just figured, if I'm going to haul multiple things, why not just bring by big rig? I wanted it to be something self-contained and portable.

Oh... and I'll ask Don about a cover. That would be the icing on the cake.