1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

my drone band (two bassist)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by doobeye, Apr 12, 2009.

1. doobeye

doobeye

Jun 3, 2008
    Moorpark, CA
    Well if you happened to click here, yes the band I'm currently working on has no guitar and two bass players including myself. We play really slow bummed out riffs, I guess you could call it drone but as far as I know I don't even know how to categorize it.

There's a dilemma here though.. our best friend and vocalist Daniel Kraus (guitarist for Admiral Angry) passed away last month. Feels horrible still, but we decided to play a benefit show last week in his honor and left a microphone stand there to symbolize that he was there on stage with us. We actually ended up raising over $2000 for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation which does make us feel a lot better, but now we don't know what to do. Continue the music with no vocals and still mention him as our vocalist? Continue writing under a new name? I realized there's no rule book on "things to do once a band member passes" but i find myself still looking for some kind of closure. At this point i know we're going to record the songs we have and put it out in memory of him, but its the question of what to do next? has anyone else ever had this happen?

http://www.myspace.com/fieldsdrone
    -The only song we have up is the song Daniel wrote himself

http://www.myspace.com/admiralangry
    -Daniel's other band

Thanks for reading

2. Sorry to hear about your loss bro. If he was your best friend AND sole vocalist, I say create a new band all together. It just wouldn't be the same band without your best bud IMO.

3. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I wouldn't continue on either, but I also think the mic stand thing was a great tribute.

4. doobeye

doobeye

Jun 3, 2008
    Moorpark, CA
    thanks guys, i really appreciate the kind words.

5. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    thats amazing.....congrats with the successful donation and my deepest sympathy for Daniel and his family and you guys.

i'd say start a new band. if my band lost a member due to an event like that, it wouldn't be the same band. I think you should release the last few songs, and then start anew.

6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of your friend and vocalist. It will take some time for you to find your way through your loss. I wouldn't force the decision... it will become clear what you should do... let that clarity arise naturally on it's own.