Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my dropped C tunning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Jan 18, 2004.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    hehe im a new droped user, till today i was using my DGCFfour strings, then i saw a tab with C instead of D so i de-tunned my bass again, but it was too loose and it doesnt sounds good not iven as loud as the other strings, I think that the problen cloud be the gauge of my strings 45-65-85-105. need help plz answer me!!!

THX

2. zeh

zeh

Jul 11, 2003
    Lisbon , Portugal
    I have the exact same problem!! And I use the xact same gauge , I recently joined a band where I must use that tunning , and I cant sound "clean" its always a rough sound . Help!!! :bassist:

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Get a light gauge 5 string set and tune it up.

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    how much light? because i would need to set the 4 string thigter and that can make serious damages in the truss-rod

5. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    If you are playing in drop C drom DGCF, your tuning would become CGCF, correct?

I would get a normal 5 string set with a low B at a gauge of ~120. tune the low B to the C, and use the A D G strings to tune down to G C F. If you are happy with the GCF strings you have on now, then keep that same brand and gauge or whatever, but try to find a low B string at about 120. (or a REALLY heavy E, but I don't think there will be one heavy enough for going to C)

Or just get your nut widened a bit and tune it B E A D, or get a 5 string. ;)

The solution to all of lifes problems: Another bass! :D

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    i also have a 5 s, but i want to make some projects with a new 4 s, thanks for the answer. From wich brand should i bought the LB-120?

7. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The brand and make is up to you really. Whatever you like and have used, for whatever feel or sound you want to go with.

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    thx for everything.
    i realy respect you

9. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Lol, it was no problem, I'm glad to help :)