My drummer cant play a one drop

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by slam, Jun 20, 2001.

1. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    I am currently playing with this band that does a lot of blues rock kinda stuff. They all know I love to play reggae so we have worked up a reggaeish original. The problem is that the drummer cant play much besides rock and roll and he is basically playing a rock beat during the reggae portion of the song. It drives me crazy but the rest of the band is oblivious and they think it is fine (none of them listen to hardly any reggae). I finally sat down at the drumset the past two practices and showed the drummer how to play a one drop reggae beat, which is probably one of the most common drum beats you hear in reggae. He can not play a one drop. I mean, the beat is so simple that even I can play it, and I don't really play drums, so I know he is capable of playing it. I just think he has played rock for so long that he can't get a handle on the reggae beat. I made the drummer a tape last week of all one drop reggae tunes but I havent had a chance to give it to him yet.

So I'm trying to figure out what to do. Should I keep going with the song as it is and grit my teeth, should I revamp the song and take out the reggae part of it, or should I keep hammering at trying to teach my drummer the one drop?
  2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I think your question comes too early. You haven't even given the dude the tape yet. Give him the tape, let him listen to it for a while... maybe he will pick it up. Good luck!
  3. B-Note Cowboy

B-Note Cowboy Guest

Jun 13, 2001
    Tulsa, OK
    So you like Reggae, and your band plays blues-rock.

If your drummer had a secret passion for... say.... bluegrass or dixieland jazz or something that you aren't but passingly familiar with and one day expected you to play a bass-riff to it, would you be able to do the right kind or would you instinctively find one that works based on what you have actually played?

OK, that is a long analogy, but the point is... give the guy a break and some time to learn the right licks. Like you said, it isn't a complicated drum piece, so it should click for him if he has some time to work on it.
  4. It would be so easy to make drummer intelligence jokes at this point. But I won't:p
  5. B-Note Cowboy

B-Note Cowboy Guest

Jun 13, 2001
    Tulsa, OK
    Good point, he he... You gotta factor in the missing chromosome factor that leads to drumming in the first place.
  6. wynnguitars

Jun 20, 2001
    try to encourage the drummer to expand his musical vocab give him some reggae
  7. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I love/listen to/play blues and rock, but my band decided that they want to have a 30-min set of Sinatra songs. Downloaded the midis, practiced on my own for a week, learned to play the stuff. Now they have to learn to do a couple of Journey and Blues Brothers songs for me <EVIL GRIN>
  8. But i will.......:p :D

Ok, this is typical of drummers, or at least the ones i have come across. They all block out any kind of help. I have seen it before, we would suggest something and then the blank face occurs. I'll show him or someone will, what me mean and still the blank face.

About three weeks goes past and then u get "hey guys, what about a drum beat like this?", and its what we were trying to show! hmmm

9. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i've seen it too ... and furthermore, i've noticed they only take advice from other drummers who are better than they are :D whereas a guitarist would look to his tight leather pants for inspiration, and a bassist would smoke twenty cones and whine about not being heard over the afore-mentioned drummer in the first place :p
  10. you've got it all figured out:D
  11. what kind of BS is this I am hearing?
    My drummer will play any beat fact, i have only gotten to play with one bad drummer out of 16/17.
    And yah, you can't expect him to learn a whole new style in less than an hour!
  12. A whole new style of drumming is different than a whole new style of playing guitar or bass. I figured out how to play reggae basics on drums in less than 10 minutes.

13. took that long? :p

Ahh cool quote Tones.. LONG LIVE LOW END!

14. Gaxx

Jul 2, 2001
    I've read a couple of Led Zep books and both agree... "D'yer Mak'er" was supposed to be reggae but Bonzo couldn't play the beat.
  15. alex-hi78

alex-hi78 banned.

Jun 11, 2001
    Honolulu, Hawai`i
    Thanks for defending the art of drumming.

C'mon now gentlemen, drummers may not be rocket scientists, but they aren't feces on the sidewalk either. And just like being a bassist is hard work, being a good drummer is hard damn work, I'm here to tell you.

For the reggae drummer, a simple one-drop beat won't take a whole lot of time to learn, but if the drummer's been playing all rock beats (2,4), the switch may be difficult. I mean, you aren't expecting Carlton Barret (Bob Marley's drummer) to appear overnight, right? As long as your expectations aren't too high up, with a little practice and some good examples, he'll get it.
  16. Sounds like a lot of people have trouble with their drummers like we do. We only have little amps yet our drummer insists on beating the sh*t out of his kit whenever we play. Also, he almost entirely refuses to play when we write songs that are acoustic because he thinks if it's acoustic that means it's a country song. I think he is just mad because he knows that it wouldn't be appropriate to go ape on his drums during a song like that.