Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My drummer just got a new kit.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DubDubs, May 2, 2005.

1. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    My drummer just got a new DW kit. It's pretty awesome. Here are the specs and a couple of pics.

Specs:

Finish: DW Finish Ply "Midnight Glass"

Drums:
    18x22 Bass
    8x10 Tom
    10x13 Tom
    14x16 Floor Tom
    16x18 Floorsom
    6x14 Pork Pie Snare

Cymbals:
    14" Paiste Hats
    18" Paiste Innovations Full Crash
    18" Paiste Signature Power Crash
    19" Zildjian A Custom crash
    20" Paiste Prototype Ride
    21" Paiste Signature Dry Heavy Ride
    20" Paiste Innovations Medium Ride (as a crash)

Attached Files:

• DW1.jpg
      DW1.jpg
      File size:
      44.7 KB
      Views:
    • DW2.jpg
      DW2.jpg
      File size:
      44.4 KB
      Views:
  2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Beautiful! I just sold my old kit!

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Does he play in that office chair? :D

Nice setup, bigger than what I would want or could need, but it's still cool.

4. noice

5. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    You call that big!?!?

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Yes. Medium sized to big.

7. Very cool kit. A couple months back my drummer got these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    DW are sooooo sweet.My drummer would kill for some!

9. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i just got a used pearl exports set, same model as my drummers :D
    i have more cymbals than he does, but he has a double bass and an extra tom. ill post pix when i get home.

10. That looks nice. My drummer just got a LOVELY Purple Pearl Export kit. It sounds SO good.

11. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I'd show you big, except... I don't think we have a picture that has more than half the drumkit in it...

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Check it out.

Small
    [​IMG]

Medium
    [​IMG]

Large
    [​IMG]

Massive
    [​IMG]

Ungodly
    [​IMG]

Portnoy's Triple-Kick Monster also qualifies as ungodly. :D

13. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Here's my kit from right before a gig a couple years ago. I built it with Keller shells and woodhoops, with a whitewashed satin finish and gloss black lugs. Mounting hardware is Ayotte and GPI. The toms are six ply maple and the kick is eight ply. Sizes are 10x8, 12x10, 16x16, 22x18. I built the snare out of a 13x6.5 carbon fiber shell with tube lugs and a Pearl strainer.

[​IMG]

14. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Nice! I really want to build a keller kit but seeing as drums are a secondary instrument and I have much more on my "to buy" list it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

15. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Nice kits. DWs are nice, but overpriced to hell. They are getting some better new finishes though, and that first one is no exeption.

16. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    If I can't change my daughters mind about learning to play drums then I am probably going to end up buying a Conaway set for her.

17. The main kit at school (yes, I'm a drummer too, kinda) that has a snare, two toms, a floor tom, bass drum, hi-hat, and a crash & ride cymbal.

I steal another crash cymbal from another music room when I play. :D

18. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I highly recommend it if you find yourself in the position to do it. The woodhoops were just stupid expensive, but very worth it. With normal metal hoops, that kit (toms and kick) would have cost me around $600 to build. Hardware costs have come down a little bit and shell costs have gone up a little bit since then, so that kit with metal hoops would still be well under a grand to build today.

As I've mentioned in other threads, I've been a drummer for a lot longer than I've been a bass player. I have heard/played/owned a lot of nice kits and I sold a Pearl Masters Custom to fund the parts for that one. IMO that is one of the best kits I've ever heard and it was a fun project to tackle. I vowed to never buy another kit after building it. It's just too cheap and easy to get a great sounding set of drums using Keller shells and a little research. If anyone is interested in knowing more about building, feel free to PM me.

19. My brother is endorsed by DW. This is a partial kit in a recarding studio and not all of what he uses at gigs and such. We think $5000 is bad? I forget what he paid with his discount but it was way more than I have.

20. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I love drums! I try my best - not so great, but learning I guess.

My drummer just got a new kit recently as well. Pearl Masters MMX, 10, 12, 13, 16 toms, 22 kick. He's got old custom Tama 14x8 and DW 14x5 snares, Sabian AAX 14, 16, 18 crashes, Zildjian K custom 20 ride and 6 splash, Paiste 14 hats. Hopefully he'll throw some coated heads on the toms next time - my favorite!

Weird - when we play gigs, he's usually the only drummer out of all the bands to have more than 1 rack tom and without a double pedal. Far too much "hardcore" and "screamo" around here I guess ?