1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my drummer sucks

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by armywalaby, Dec 30, 2011.

1. This is a video from our halloween gig. I started playing supportive to the way he was playing the drums in effort to bring his error to light, but nothing. this guy just refuses to practice. I'm looking for a better gig.

Facebook

2. "This content is currently unavailable."

Anyway, welcome to the club. We've all been there at one time or another.

3. how about this one? we were playing shine by collective soul, but I said it sounded more like 311. Facebook

4. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    Oh ya...hear / feel your pain!!

5. man, but more than anything it's the excuses for not practicing...and when he lies about practicing songs it is clear that he never did. he thinks we need to have band practice every day of the week....but that isn't feasible with how little he books; something like 2-3 shows a quarter. he wants us to book shows, but I'm not putting my face in front of this act...no way. not when he owns all the PA but has no idea how any of it works. not when he doesn't have the drive to practice at least every other day. none of us have real jobs...so there is no excuse for any of that.

6. It's his name on the marquee, but he says the band is a democracy. what he means is that he wants his name on the front but everyone else to do the work for him.

7. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Links don’t work for me, but I’ll take your and Randyt’s word for it that they guy isn’t good.

Yeah, that’s kinda messed up.

The only guys I know personally whose names are part of the band name keep their bands busy, own and pay for everything, pay the members pretty well (I know one pays the guys $50 each just for rehearsals), and don’t stink.

8. .
    Tried both the links and got "This content is currently unavailable" on both.

?????????

9. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    Some folks want to play so much that they'll buy into the gear but not the actual work that comes with playing.

To some degree it's holding folks hostage; it's a working band and some time has been invested already.

But if it doesn't look like it's going to get better then walk away from it. And don't be afraid to say it's because he sucks as a drummer. You're half of the rhythm section...you have every right to call him out on it.

Bands are a dime a dozen. Take the walk and find something else. Or if you just want to have fun hang around and antagonize the guy and see how far you can push him. Maybe he will rise to the occasion. Stranger things have happened.

But safe money is for walking away.

10. only two 10 sec vids there. The video probably is set to private.

11. If he sucks that much, he isn't going to get any better. Just quit and find someone competent. Life is too short to play with people who don't bother to learn the songs.

12. That's exactly how I feel.

NYE gig - I show up on time but the drummer and guitarist have started early (again...). They unloaded the whole PA then just dropped it in the path to the stage while they hang up lights. I move some things around to get my cabinet through; I come back and they have moved themselves right into the walkway I made to hang more lights....the PA wasn't even up yet...

I'm setting up my rig, and the drummer asks me to go help the guitarist with the subs that are still in the van. I say 'yeah let me finish running these cables through my pedals' maybe 90 seconds later I'm done, and drummer has been standing there the whole time leaning on a main.

Me: "Hey man, did you just tell me go to help him so you could stand there"
    Drummer: "well I'm tired" *story* truncated; he was up all night txting his ex.
    Me: And? so that means, what?

it is never this guys fault...

anyway, we get the subs in then its time to track the rack and board down...one way or another I found myself behind the rack again with a bunch of cables in my hand before I realized I was setting up this jokers PA again....all the while I have to keep telling them to stop moving the mains behind the backline....why would you ever do that?

then the show ensued where drummer messed up all the beginnings bridges and endings and had to chase people out that thought they didn't need to pay because their bartender buddy said it was ok...

nobody bothered to ask if the bar was gonna be open new years...but drummer said leave all the stuff here we're coming back tomorrow. I couldn't have got my stuff out without moving literally everything (I was in a corner) so I left my cabinet and took everything else.

When I showed up tuesday to help him load up, you know he was sitting at the bar waiting on someone else to show up and do it for him...

I wanted to give him my notice then, but I just couldn't do it. I know as soon as I do all of his insecurities are gonna blow up in my face and I'm gonna have to deal with that bs. I need to just get it over with.

13. Did I mention I'm 25, and the drummer is 50? not that age matters....but it totally does.

14. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    If they get there consistently “early”, then maybe what you consider to be “early” isn’t “early”. Kinda sounds like you’re late. But after reading the rest, I can see why they might not have bothered wanting you there.

Btw, it’s not strange to set up the lights before the PA.

So they’re setting up the equipment, after having lugged in all that gear, and all you care about setting up your rig?

And you’re bitching because the gear they unloaded was in your way?

After they’ve unloaded all this gear, older guys, no less, they ask you help with the subs, and you can’t care to help until you wire up your pedals? And you think it’s unreasonable that he’s standing there looking at you wiring your pedals, thinking he should have run out and lugged the subs instead of you?

And then, as though that’s not enough... and this is YOUR version of the conversation between you 25 and the 50 yr old band owner:

Me: "Hey man, did you just tell me go to help him so you could stand there"

Drummer: "well I'm tired" *story* truncated; he was up all night txting his ex.

Me: And? so that means, what?

Dude, seriously, he shoulda put his boot up your ass.

15. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    You just said you went to “help” him load up, so why would you then state in the same sentence that he was waiting for someone to “do it for him”?

Oh, I suppose he was “early” again, so in all fairness, he should have loaded it all before you got there, and just maybe it would have worked out such that all there was left to do was to get your rig.

If it’s so terrible, why didn’t you?

Aha, that makes... total sense. You're a saint, you are!

:scowl:

16. 77jazzbass

77jazzbass Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I hate to be a snob, but, don't commit to a band with sub-par musicians, or musicians that aren't willing to put forth some effort. Not only is it frustrating as hell playing with them, your growth as a musician will be slow and painful. And no - age doesn't mean a damn thing! IMHO, It's about commitment...

17. So, you should not assume things, because it makes you look foolish.

1) the other guy is my age.
    2) "early" because we decided on a time to meet up to load up and head to the venue, and they call me two hours earlier saying they are currently loading up.

the rest really makes you sound like you are working out some sort of aggression, but I'll dissect it anyway.

3)there is no order to how they load/unload. everything just gets vomited into the van then vomited out into the bar, then everyone spends ten minutes asking where stuff is.

4) he is always getting someone else to do stuff. case in point, he has his own computer and internet and knows how to look up music, but he wants me to make a youtube playlist for him...he has the same list of material everyone else does. he can do it like everyone else did.

so, seriously, you should shove your own boot up your own ass for acting like that. we can still be friends as long as you don't draw conclusions with your own fillers.

18. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Not really. Age only matters in this case if he's been playing since he was 20. Or 30 or 40 or even 45. If any of those are true and he still can't play, you best be runnin' as fast as your time tappin' li'l feet can carry you. This coming from a drummer who has practiced. A lot.