1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My drummer won't use hot rods. What should I do?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by djbass28, Jul 17, 2014.

1. djbass28

djbass28

Apr 15, 2014
    Whenever we practice, I can barely hear myself or the guitar players.
    It's important to note that we're all in high school, and have small amps, so we can only turn up so loud. Also we practice in a 15x20 room in my house, so we're kinda right next to the drum set. I've approached him and told him he should use hot rods, but he says that "hot rods are meant for hip hop and he won't play rock and metal with them. I'll just play quieter." Then he proceeds to play just as loud as he did before. The guitarists and I aren't going to be able to work on the details and small nuances in the songs if we can't even hear ourselves.
    Anyways, have you guys ever experienced this where all you hear is drums when you practice? If so, any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Hot rods have a completely different feel than regular sticks, and I kinda don't blame him for not wanting to use them, but by the same token, it sounds like the dude could benefit from learning dynamics. You CAN play quietly, but still "powerfully" at the same time...aside from him compromising, perhaps an electric kit for practice with another smallish amp? OR, run a small mixer, line out all your amp and mic feeds to it, sub mix it down to a decent headphone amplifier, and practice wearing closed back headphones?

3. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller

Dec 10, 2009
    LAnsing MI
    Make shift drum shield.

When I was your age we had the same problem with our drummer so used Styrofoam panels and made a wall in front of the drummer, he was loud and ugly so the Styrofoam really helped!

Stealth, thudfromafar, MDBass and 9 others like this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I understand him not wanting to use them, but he can use thinner sticks, and you all need to work with each other. It sounds like he is in it for ego, rather than musicianship. Rehearsal is NOT stage volume. If he won't play in context, you have a personnel issue to deal with.

5. djbass28

djbass28

Apr 15, 2014
    That's a really good idea. Thanks so much!

6. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    Make duct tape dampers on the cymbals, at least.

7. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    amps on milk crates to get them up to ear level

Flad and SunnBass like this.
  8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I have played with that guy.
    Fire him. NOW.

thudfromafar, okcrum, Gabbs and 12 others like this.
  9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    As a drummer myself I agree that hot rods don't feel the same and can be more difficult to play depending on the style. If you need a lot of rebound, it's not going to happen, so I know where he's coming from. But his reply does smack of some arrogance. The bigger issue for me would be that he says he'll play quieter and then he's not even making an attempt to.

I'm fortunate that I can play just as quiet with sticks as with rods, but then again, I don't play metal. It's much more difficult to play quicker and still regain control while playing quietly. It can be done, but he has to want to work at it.

hover and raventepes like this.
  10. Why do people think rehearsals need to be at gig volume. We spent three hours rehearsing some new songs with practice size amps on everything and no mics. Rock and roll music, plenty of tea and no drum issues. Getting tight is more important than volume. In fact, volume can destroy the subtle stuff in a small room. If your drummer cannot master dynamics, then get a new one, cus your one's broken!

obimark and StayLow like this.
  11. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    either make a drum baffle or cover part of the drum skins with cloth or foam or get bigger amps and earplugs.. i'd go with the former..

12. The kid is short of skills, not unexpected at your age. Even grownups fail at dynamics and the level of fine control required of a drummer to master it is much higher than other instruments.

Still, he should be quite capable of dialing it down some.

Impasse.

Keep playing with earplugs and lift the amps up on tables. Never had much success myself with screening in small spaces, but muffles on cymbals help some. Your guy probably won't accept towels over drums.

13. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you need ear plugs at rehearsal (or gigs IMO) there is a problem that should be fixed.

14. Ralph Notoro

Ralph Notoro Banned

Jul 14, 2014
    I disagree on the first point, agree on the second. I think it's easier to hit with the proper feel with the hot rods than to hold back with sticks. You can't do subtle things like ruffs and closed rolls but for a rehearsal situation it would make more sense.

An electronic kit would be preferable but it's not a practical choice considering the cost.

Welcome to being in a garage band.

15. bassrich

bassrich

Nov 20, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Jam hub and electric drums no amps needed just effects processor, DI and microphone

16. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    ^ this x10. No one says you have to serve tea (nicetouch tho), but this is what rehearsal should be, garage or otherwise.

17. Interesting. While we don't play rock, my drummer uses Hot Rods exclusively (except when he uses brushes) in both gigs and rehearsals and has zero trouble playing in a very wide dynamic range with them.

18. Ralph Notoro

Ralph Notoro Banned

Jul 14, 2014

When it comes to drums, it isn't about achieving gig volume. It's not just turning a knob to a decible level. The "feel" changes according to how hard you hit them.

BrBss and fourstringdrums like this.
  19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Before our last rehearsal our drummer set up mic and triggers on his drums and brought his own PA for them. During the first song, all I coudl hear were the drums. I told him that there was no need to mic drums at rehearsal since we try to keep the volume at a reasonable level so we can also focus on dynamics. He wasn't happy about it but turned off his PA.

20. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Mississippi
    Get you one of these and tell him practice is at 9 when its really at 7.
    Maschine.