Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Dumbness Overwhelmes Me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skaboy, Dec 7, 2002.

1. skaboy

skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    NZ
    Yes I own a Cort Curbow. Infact I also own a kramer bass. But the problem is the Cort Curbow, it's my first bought bass which it was awhile back.
    I can still remember the day I bought the Cort , I was all yepiee like a fruit loop, but it only lasted until I found out the truth about the cort.

It was infact crap which I was told and which I also found out myself. The body is way too small and way too unbalanced. When you sit down the bass slides off and the neck is too heavy for the body blah blah yada yada yada. It's smooth looking but I find it crappy looking now. It has active electronics so it has reasonable fat sound and a boost swtich. Past and current bass teacher all say it's pretty poorly made and better off with a fender jazz.

I feel extremely dumb these days with a tiny curbow. I should have really choose the stingray , or a fender jazz with the money I bought for the curbow. I still have my unknown vintage kramer with a soild pine body and a metal head but the pasive pick up been ruin so I need to get it fixed before i can play it. Really when i bought the cort , i really had not much idea about basses. I thought It was pretty cool and the sales person kept on yapin about it.

So really I am after your expert opinon.

2. ashtray9

ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Can I see a picture of it?

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Well, we all have to start from somewhere.

Personally, I don't find the Cort Curbow aesthetically appealing, but in its defense, it probably looks a lot better on a smaller person than a Jazz or a Stingray.

If you're worried about neck dive when sitting down, try using a strap.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    It's NOT a crappy bass. Did you have it set up intially? It' smy understanding that, unless Greg does so himself, they are badly in need of a serious setup, but once that's done, it's a fine bass for the money.

Does it have the Bart pickups and preamp? If not, I'll agree that the might mites and the stock preamp are a disappointment, to say the least.

As for not being able to play it while sitting, well, try standing. I play my bass standing 99% of the time and i recommend that anyne who is taking lessons stand during lessons because, frankly, you need to learn to play that way.

The Cort Curbow is made in the same Korean factory as the Conklin GT, which is another solid inexpensive bass (again, when it comes with the Barts). It's possible (likely?) that your teacher simply has a bias against Korean-made basses. 5 years ago, this general bias would have been justified, but not anymore. There are some really solid basses being made there nowadays.

In the end, what matters is what feels and sounds best to you. A Jazz obviously has a different pickup config than a CC and is a passive bass (at least the base ones are) to boot, so it's going to be a different animal completely.

All depends on personal preference. Everyone differs when it comes to that, so who is to say that your instructor is right and you are wrong?

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    What opinion are you looking for? Like whether or not to sell your Curbow for a Jazz or something? I'd follow Planet Boulder's advice and bring it in for a setup job first. I've heard very good reviews of the Cort Curbow from a lot of trusted people, so I wouldn't chime the death toll yet. And I've known many older bassists that have been close-minded to basses other than Fenders. If you still feel the need for a Jazz-type bass, just order an Essex for about $140 shipped and keep the Curbow.

By the way, don't dismiss a bass just because of its manufacturer. This is one of my basses, and it was most likely made in the same Cort factory as yours.
    [​IMG]

And it's anything but crap.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive played tone of basses and have always thought the the Cort Curbow is one of the best deals out there.

Its a solid bass with great sound (even without the Barts its still kicken), and a comfortable body and neck.

When Im ready for a backup bass, im either goin with another G&L L-2500 or a CC 5 string.

Peace
    Nick

7. skaboy

skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    NZ
    Well it's not so much the eletronics. It's just the body. It's just way too small. It's a reasonable good deal I bought from the yapin seller.
    It just dives down , you know the rest. Yea I play with the strap on to prevent slippage. Cort basses are great actually but a cort curbow was n't right for me.(iam 6 foot 3 does like pudgy one me) After I bought it , i found a awesome range of corts in another shop. The artisian series bit more expensive but it was better than the curbows. The body more balanced and etc.

I do love corts but curbow was n't it.

8. skaboy

skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    NZ
    yea it has barts pick ups and i've setted up all perfectly. The eletronics are pretty good , just the size and the look. I prefer the jazz bass look or a spector's. Yea i dunno wha's wrong with me but my bass knowledge is limited. I'm much better at theory studies.

9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    From your post it's obvious you don't like the Curbow, and that it has many features that is not for you. Sell it and get something different you feel more comfortable with. Others seem to like it better so it shouldn't be that difficult to find a buyer.

10. Once again, a great reason to thoroughly test a bass in the store before you buy it.

Sell it and get a Spector, you know you want to.

11. last week I bought a bass, played ot for awhile in the store, took it home, and decided it wasn't for me, so I sold it the next day and got something else.

Don't kick yourself for buying something and then deciding it's not for you.

I find that people tend to be very opinionated regarding instruments, oh you got to have one of these, how could you not be playing one of these?

A friend bought a Korean made spector and it wasn't as bad as I had expected. Personally I don't care much for spectors at all, don't like the body shape, the neck shape, etc.

but it is just my preference. I have "developed" a bias towards a certain bass made in small quantities in some suburb of Boston.