My E string always goes dead within 2 days Syndrome!! Whats the dea!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Every set of strings I put on, DR, ROTO's, Dean Markley's, Daddario's ect... any brand. The E string ALWAYS goes dead within 2 days or so. All the other strings are fine, and stay bright, but the E is always goes dead.

Ive also had this problem with 2-3 basses. So I'm figuring its either me, and putting them on wrong (but the A, D, and G) are fine??? Or, my theory on it is that the E string (NON TAPERED/NON EXPOSED CORE) is such a thick string, that when it angles over the saddle, its too much of a break angle, and it damages the internal windings or something.
    Has anyone else had this problem with their E strings going dead within a couple days?

I'm wondering if a Taper Wound E string would take care of this Syndrom.
  2. ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    likely a combination of 2 things.
    1. it has bigger windings/gaps between and easier for dirt and sweat to get in and kill them.
    2. you probly play the string more than the others and possibly rest your thumb on it. also, when playing the A string your fingers will land on the E after.

i have my strings die on me unbelievable quick as well but it's just my acid/dirt sweat from my hands.
  3. I'm not sure that bigger winding would make the string go dead within 2 days! Otherwise this would be happening to everyone and it seems that its only happening to me!

and I actually play the other strings more often. I play fusion/funk/jazz on the A/D/G strings.

does anyone else have this issue?

does anyone think that taper would help? I REALLY think its becuase of the break angle over the saddle. the other strings, not being so thick, handel the break angle fine, but the E strings always goes within a day or so.
    (this happend to my B strings too!!! when I played 5ers)
  4. I don't know if my strings go dead in just two days, but it's certainly the bigger strings that die first. Maybe it's the breakangle, dunno? I'm always carefull to actually make a break angle when installing the strings, by presssing the string down over the saddle a little before tuning up to pitch.
  5. If you REALLY think it's the break angle, go to an online string dealer, order yourself a single tapered E and experiment. It'll cost some money, but people here can only guess, and with less accuracy than you, who owns the bass, as to what the problem with your bass and E strings are. Good luck, and if you find the problem report back on this thread, as I've encountered problems like that before, mostly with large diameter non- tapered B's.
  6. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    get some elixir polywebs, that e string will be alive for awhile.

i think its the heavier guage. because 100's last longer then 105's and 110's for me.
  7. tvm

Feb 22, 2005
    Had this problem with my Stingray recently, 2 times Ernie Ball and 1 Rotosound, all in row.
    In that case it actually was the strings that were bad, they were equally bad on another
    bass, finally a set of DR's solved it.

Long time ago I had a Squire jazz, that just could not play a low E was only able to do
    a "thump" fart noise when hitting it, had a distinct feeling that the low E was a resonance
    in the wood that just got soaked up....
  8. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, since you play mostly on the other strings, your palm and/or thumb would be resting on the E string quite often. This could be the cause. My E string is the first to go on all of my basses as well. Not in 2 days, but still quicker than the others.

Try washing your hands before you touch your bass. You may not think your hands are dirty, but you will notice a difference in string life if you wash your hands before playing. I have made a habit of doing this and my strings are lasting longer than ever.

I doubt it is the break angle, unless you are playing flats w/ strings through the bridge, which you are not.

Might as well give the tapered stings a chance, but it could be your bass.
  9. I doubt its my hands, I too wash them each time before I play. And Its not my bass, because I had this syndrom with over 3 basses.
    I'm going to have to try a taper winding and see what the deal is with that. And maybe then a coated string. We'll see what happens.
  10. Ok ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! :mad: I just put on a set of XL's yesterday, and played with em and they were fine. Go back to it today, and the E string is dead!!! WHAT IS GOING ON!!?!?!?!? :mad:

I can't believe this. The very next day, the E string is dead! What am I doing wrong? I wash my hands! Thats not it, and this has been happening to me with the past 3 basses I've owned. DR Strings, SIT, Rotosound, DM's all of em, the E string is dead in a day.

ANYONE!!!!!!! HELP! :help:
  11. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Maybe it is you... Maybe your idea of a "dead string" isn't really what we would consider a "dead string".

Maybe change your EQ? Maybe change your bass?
  12. Sir, I'm sorry, but I know what a dead string sounds like. And I'm telling you, the first day I put em' on everything is fine, the very next day, Dead!
  13. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey

14. :spit: on Elixir's. I will try daddario EXP's and will report back.
  15. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    If they're dying overnight, it's on several basses, and different brands of strings, then the only thing that's left is you. Strings don't just magically die.

16. I'm figuring its me. Either its my sweat, but why would the others not die? Or I'm putting them on wrong, but how can I be putting on over 10 sets wrong each time. Not a large task to put on strings ya know. What am I doing wrong?
  17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    wipe down the strings with rubbing alcohol after each use.
  18. Yes, I don that with Denatured Alcohol (better then rubbing alcohol becuase it has less H2O in it)
    But thats not why ONLY my E string is always dying, and not the others!
  19. Is the problem the same with stainless steel strings and nickels? Think I read somewhere that you don't like steels anymore, but I find that nickels (xl's and ernie balls sundbeams are my references here) go dead sooner on the thicker strings than steel strings. Maybe you just don't like the sound of broken in nickels? (but still, a break-in time on just one day, IS fast)
  20. yes, this is no "break in" The other strings are alive still!

I talked to a VERY knowledage guy at Labella and he said I might be putting it on the wrong way. I will try what he said and see what happens.

He said that you should bend the string before you cut it.

and also.

Dont wind the string around the post by hand. Your twisting the core by doing that. He said to put it thru the whole, (after bending and cutting) and then turn the winding knob, and do it the long way. Otherwise your twisting the core.
    He said you would see this more on the E and B string then the others. I think he may be right!