Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My E-string doesn't feel too clever...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by yawnsie, Aug 16, 2002.

1. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    This is something that's bothered me for some time, but I've only just got round to starting a thread about it.

Basically, the E-string on my MIA P-bass doesn't feel, or sound, very good. It's floppy, doesn't seem to sit on the fretboard well at all, and it sounds both muddy and hollow. It's especially annoying when compared to my A-string, which is tight and punchy.

I've asked a few people for advice, and most have suggested that it's likely to be a problem with either the bridge or the nut. I dunno if I've been specific enough, but I was just wondering if anyone can suggest anything on here that might be causing this problem. Cheers.

2. Have you changed string gauge? I have often read in here that by going to a lower gauge, can do that as the nut was worn to fit the other string. ;)

If you dont mind Yawnsie, i will keep this here to see if it a string problem or a setup problem. If its a string problem... this thread may be asked to go on holiday. :p

:D:D

Merls

3. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I've tried plenty of different strings, and gauges, and the problem is still there, so I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the string. I don't think this thread should be dusting off it's passport just yet. :D

4. Have you tried placing some paper in the nut slot where the E sits? Pack it in there and see if it stops rattling maybe?

:D:D

Merls

5. If it is the nut, try what merls suggested and do a temp fill on the nut slot.

How low is the bridge saddle on the E string? Is it low enough so that the string isn't tight down on it? Try raising the saddle a little bit and see if that helps.

6. also make sure the string isn't twisted at any point- notably as it passes through the body and over the bridge- torsional stress in the string can choke the tone.

Bassist recommended pressing a new string with your thumb in front of the saddle to create a "witness point" - basically creating a bend at the contact point.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    have you tried the Labella jamerson set? It has a .110 e string.

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Your E string is floppy feeling and the string has a hollow sound.

It almost sounds like you have two seperate problems.

Could you elaborate a bit? Does the sound clear up when you fret the E string? The nut should only affect the string when you play an open note on it.

Do you have enough turns around the tuner shaft to get maximum break angle over the nut?

Chances are pretty high that you have a problem with the E string pup. Of course, that wouldn't cause the string to feel floppy.

Make sure that the pup heigth is not badly misadjusted. If it were WAY too close to the string it may be magnetically coupling to the string. Try lowering the pup.

You have an interesting problem. I would be very interested in what the solution ends up being.

Pkr2

9. I have a similar problem although I describe it as the string not having bite. The A string on my ibanez sr900 is dull compared to the rest of the strings. I've gone through a few sets of strings, I've adjusted the saddles, I've checked the nut and have adjusted the pickup heights too. Its weird because only that string is lacking bite or punch. I feel its something with the pickups themselves, I'm gonna bring it in for a tech too look at.

10. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that even when fretted the string still lacks that bite and definition.

11. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    It's pretty easy to prove whether or not a pup is bad if you only have a problem on one string.

In the case of a suspect E pup: Remove the A string and the E string. Put the E string in the bridge at the A position but wind it back onto the E tuner shaft so you don't have to shorten the E string. If it sounds OK across the A pup coil it can only be a faulty pup.

When I write it out it sounds complicated but it really isn't. :)

Pkr2

12. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Me too. ;)

I've had this problem for quite some time now, and I've been through many sets of strings, so I don't think they're to blame. I've also altered my action, and pickup height several times. The problem is there on the open string, and when I fret it. I can't see it being the nut, because if anything the A string sits even worse in it than the E, but it sounds fine open and fretted.

I think this is something that I really need to show people. Ah well. Thanks for the answers, everyone.