Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My E-string sounds terrible HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lookjojoisplaid, Mar 18, 2006.

1. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    So my A-d-g string sound great. But my e string just sounds like a weak and splatty.I just had my bass set up by a pro like maybe 2 months ago and he does good work. I check the pickup hight and its as high as i want it to be, the neck its straight, and i have put new string on her trying bigger strings. Ohh and this isnt just when i play through my amp too it also happens when im just playing it under no power.

Whats the problem what should i do??

This happens on my fender p-bass and my active fender jazz bass

2. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    go see a pro?

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah, try that. I really have no idea what that could be. I'd say strings but you changed strings. Go see someone else maybe.

4. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    I had much the same problem with an old acoustic so I beat it against a rock.

I thought it was a problem with the nut or saddle being loose or too wide/thin for the string. See a pro.

5. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    +1
    Nut? saddle? bridge? bad luck and got a bad string?
    tuned an octave below?

go see a pro

6. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    This happens on two different basses? A Jazz and P?
    Sometimes you get a bad piece of wood that gives you dead spots. But the entire string on both basses, odd.
    Let's tear it down... What kind of strings flat or round. What brand. Open Low E sounds dead, what about fretted notes up the neck on the E string.. Dead or ringing? Try a set of something really lively like DR Hi Beams. If that E doesn't ring bright and true, then you can rule out strings.
    Make sure that pups aren't too close to the string. Magnetic field can interfere with the string if it's too close.
    Try different amps to make sure that what you are percieving is reproducable on other amplification.
    Bring your basses to reputable repairman or luthier. It's possible you have two bad basses. Not likely but possible. If that's the case you have some decisions to make.

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I guess my first question would be - did it Always sound like this, or did you wake up one day and it sounded like that?

8. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Could this be technique related?

I noticed that if I'm not carefull sometimes I pluck the E-string with a different angle than the other strings. This causes the string not to vibrate parallel to the fretboard and not ring true.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If this happened after changing strings, you might have gotten a bad E string. It happens.

Do you have the old ones? If so, put the old E string back on and see what happens... If not, try borrowing one from another bass that rings true on that instrument.