Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My ear is developing...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lil_bass_boy, Sep 18, 2002.

1. lil_bass_boy

lil_bass_boy Banned

Oct 25, 2001
    Maryland, USA
    Well, my musical ear that is.

I've been playing now for little more than over a year now and haven't been able to figure songs out by ear, until now. My dad has said ever since I really started taking bass playing seriously that me and my brother (a g***ar player) are the 2 most tone deaf people in the world. I don't blame him for that etheir. I sometimes played my bass when it was out of tune and didn't even notice. And I understand that to be a good musician you have to have a good ear. Im only 13 now so I don't have any real concern about being a studio musician or something like that. But I wanted to be a better musician. So I stopped using tabs (yes, I used tabs :oops: ) and started learning standard notation and LISTENING to the music. And now, I have figured out 2 songs just by using my ear. Im able to hear the notes and find them on the bass. I know it sounds a little cheesy, but it's a great feeling. I feel like I am advancing as a musican.

Actually, Talkbass has helped me realized all these things, so I would like to thank everyone here who give people advice, it really helps.

Sorry for the rant,

-Max

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

You are on the path to enlightenment. Any experienced musician will tell you that a good ear is your most valuable asset.

Developing a good ear takes time. Very few musicians have naturally good hearing, the rest of us have to work at it.

3. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    im in that path too, i was really diggin a song and suddenly i picked up my bass and started playin it like i knew it all, and in fact i knew it but i didnt notice that until i was really.....focused.

and that even makes me happier when i think ive been playing bass since almost 3 months (june 20).
    all i can say is that im proud of myself.

4. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    I still have a horrible ear.

It's always cool when you start picking up stuff though, I've had a few moments. So cool stuff dude.

5. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    a good ear is no substitute for good knowledge of music. don't neglect your theory. a good ear is great, a good ear with a good brain is even better. :)

6. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Ella Fitzgerald could not read a single note. She did it all by ear. Theory and reading are useful in some situations. Good ears are valuable in almost any situation.

7. Don't apologize for the "rant", lil_bass_boy. That's what this site is here for.. Bassists helping bassists. The helpful attitude of the VAST majority of the membership here is TB's strongest asset, IMO.

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Theory and reading are useful in some situations. Good ears are valuable in almost any situation.

i always thought this was true till i got to school. When a prof sits a piece of music down and tells u to play it right the first time see how well your ear training helps u. And in alot of classical stuff the other intruments dont help, and what yoiu would normally hear "pop" music doesnt follow the same guidelines. Every other day i have my theory classes the the morning and my ear training classes in the afternoon, by the end of the day im musiced out. Point it both are equeally important for a good musician. Ive heard alot of people say they cant read music and are studio musicians, which is complete bull. I survived on my ears alone for waaaay too long. If u become a professional musician with your ears alone your not a good musician, your lucky.

9. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    That's great to hear lil_bass_boy! And at only 13 years-old. Stay true to your path and who knows how exceptional you could be, say, ten years from now! :)

I think, in a sense, ear-training and theory go hand-in-hand. Learning theory helps with ear-training. Like interval recognition. Also, being able to guess, after a few notes, what key the tune is in, and then figuring the rest of the song out by using that knowledge.

And, yes, it's a wonderful feeling when you figure out a whole song solely by ear. And, yes, you are indeed advancing as a musician. :)

10. lil_bass_boy

lil_bass_boy Banned

Oct 25, 2001
    Maryland, USA
    My dad is like that too. He has a good ear, but cant read music. When I was learning some notation, I had a question and asked my dad. When he said he didn't know notation I was pretty surprised, because he is a good musician.

I wanted to learn notation just to know it. But my main focus is on training my ear. A good ear is necessary for any musician.

Yeah, thats why I keep coming to this site. You can learn a lot in the forums. If you read posts, you'll get more information as you go along. And a little more information never hurts anyone.

-Max

11. lil_bass_boy

lil_bass_boy Banned

Oct 25, 2001
    Maryland, USA
    Thanks,

I'd like to think I will evolve into a good bassist. But you never know. I'm going to just keep at it.

-Max

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Congratulations! This is very exciting news, something you should be very happy about. Keep at it, and you'll amaze yourself with your growth.

13. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    lil_bass_boy

Keep doing what you are doing!!! I remember discovering that I could hear notes (pitch) at the same age 13. (I'm 46 now) But I'll never forget that summer when I realized I could play along with the bass lines, vocal lines, guitar lines of my favorite Beatle albums (big CD's) on my trombone. Plus when one song ended I could hear the first few nots of the next song on the record in my head before the song started ( ihad listened to these records alot). Keep on going, you are training your brain to work in a way that most people wish theirs would. btw, keep your bass tuned up.

14. God I envy you! 13 years old, enthusiastic, and with the support of the TalkBass Community. Keep at it, hold on to your dreams, and you have a hell of a lot of years of enjoyment in front of you. I look back on my life, and I know what a good time you are going to have, the places you are going to see, and the excellent Musicians you are going to work with. All from enjoying the discovery of what fun the Bass Guitar can actually be. Keep at it, and good luck.

15. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    what i was saying before was a good ear will make you a good musician, a good ear and good knowledge will make you a great musician.

I have always believed you should develop your ear first, then the theory later. When you are younger it is much easier to train your ear, the theory you can learn anytime. It is much harder to pick up things quicker when you are older.

It looks like you are the right track, keep going at it. :)

16. Awesome news Lil Bass Boy
    peace
    frank