my ear Vs my tuner?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by themajorrager, Feb 27, 2006.

1. so i was away on holiday recently without a tuner and turned to the internet and an online bass tuner ( to take care of the tuning.
    when i return from my holiday i decide to compare how well i can tune my bass. firstly by ear through using the website then plugging into my tuner to see how close i was.
    problem is my tuner and my ear arent agreeing!!!:meh:
    when i tune my bass using my tuner it doesnt sound right when i then compare it to the internet site:eyebrow:
    so my question is can i rely on my ear more than my tuner (zoom BFX-708) or are the tunings on the site not in tune?
  2. CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    I just checked web site, everything is perfect, you have to check your tuner.
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Your tuner should be calibrated at 440.
  4. is that 440Hz? i didnt know you could calibrate my tuner until i read this... it was on 439Hz - would that have been the problem? thanks for your response
  5. Yep, 439 is a lower pitch. It's not an Ab, but it's lower than a 439 A.
  6. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    I think he meant to say "it's lower than a *440 A*".:)
  7. thanks for the help guys - all sorted now:hyper: :bassist:
  8. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    I have always wondered what they were for, I use a zoom 505II to tune to c# and don't change any settings I just tune is this bad?
  9. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Nope. It probably doesn't have adjustable calibration.
  10. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004

the "standard" tunning is 440, which means that the A note will be 440 Hz (or an octave abouve or below).

I think the A on the 4th string on the bass is 55 Hz, which means 3 octave below the reference A