Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My EBs are too bright, I've had them for awhile, too.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    And I HATE the bright-sound. I play 50/50 fingerstyle/pick, and I can't explain the kind of sound I want. Just not bright! I thought it'd wear off afterawhile, NO! I've played them after eating greasy foods, in hopes that it would deaden them. NO :( Grrr, I hate EBs :(

Shellac's (My favorite band) bassist plays with rottosounds, and I love his tone. I also heard Jaco played with rottosounds, so, so far Rottosounds are looking good. But I hear they tear up your fingers ;/ I play an MIM J, think rottosounds are right for me? What kind should I get?

2. maby check out some d'addarios

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Try some d'addarios, they'll go dead soon enough. Now, as a serious suggestion? Try flatwounds. EB makes pretty affordable flats -- I picked up a set on Friday. Great feel to them. If you really want to go with Rotosounds, your calluses will really come into their own I suppose, and I hear their sound is great.

4. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I will never buy an EB product again, I have an uncontrollable amount of hatred towards these strings. I got them because I disliked the fender stock strings, plus I had a free strings/string change from the store I bought from. I didn't know what strings were good, so I asked. The clerk mentioned EBs, so now I have them on my bass. And only now I find out that people like NoFX/Blink 182 use them. And I cannot stand either of those two tones.

5. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    I hate a bright edgy sound myself, and the strings I like the most after playing everything on the market is flats and DR sunbeam roundwounds. The flats of most brands sound just thuddy enough to give you the rumbling bassy sound and the sumbeams are bassy and less bright and edgy than most roundwounds. To my ears anyway.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Did you get nickel or stainless steel EBs ?
    If you don't like zings, steel is to avoid at any price.

7. You see that lil' knob on your bass...the last one? Yeah, thats your tone knob. Whenever you have that "too bright, too edgy" sound, turn that mother down.:cool:

8. Take your fingers and run em down each string about 5-10 times, it'll take some of the edge off.

And how long HAVE you had em on?

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Just because Artist X uses the same brand of strings doesn't mean they suck at all. NoFX and Blink's tone are because of Fat Mike and Mark Hoppus respectively -- not the strings. Strings are but a factor in the big picture of tone. Refusing to use EB strings because punk bands use them is about as well grounded as never eating at A&W because Hitler said he liked their root beer.

When you look at the back of the EB string package, don't just notice the punk bands. You'll also see the Tragically Hip, Aerosmith, the Elton John Band, Nine Inch Nails, Jason Newstead, LeAnn Rimes, Tricia Yearwood, Incubus, and the Billy Ray Cyrus band. You're making some awfully big assumptions in that only "people like NoFX/Blink" use them -- I wouldn't be comparing the Tragically Hip or Nine Inch Nails to NoFX and Blink 182. It just doesn't match up.

Note: I ate at an A&W for the first time today...their chubby chicken strips = best I've ever had.

10. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hey, I never knew Hitler liked A&W! Or maybe that's a different Hitler.

Anyway, I don't care much for Ernies myself, but certainly not because they're too bright. I much prefer boomers, but they don't seem too popular here.

It sounds like you should try half-rounds or flatwound strings. Fender 9050 flats are inexpensive, and seriously deep and thumpy.

11. I have the set of EB's* on my MIM P-bass and I'm not having a problem. Maybe get your hands really sweaty and rub em on the strings...

*The set in the obnoxiously PINK package.

Or get some Finger Ease, some string lubricant...that should fill up the gaps between the windings quite nicely.

12. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I am not sure if they are nickel or not, or even what kind of EBs they are. I am in no way saying EBs are bad, I just don't like the way *I* sound with them, and two other bands that I DO NOT LIKE. I've had them for about a month 1/2, and I practice everyday. They are evil, I swear. :(

Thanks everyone, and sorry if I offended any EB users!