Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My EBS Drome is "dead"!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrbaloo, Jul 30, 2002.

1. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi there!

About 14 days ago I bought a rarely used EBS Drome 12 and I just love the sound from that little box!
    Yesterday my Drome suddenly lost the ability to produce a sound from its speakers, but I may still go directly to mixer via the DI-output. But when I turn the dip-switch to Post-EQ-DI-output, the signal to mixer are lost too.
    When I turn the volume-knob to the max I can almost hear the bass through the internal speaker system/headphones.
    This morning I had a clear and loud tone again (I didn't do anything) from the Drome, but at a gig in the evening the sound disappered in the middle of a song...

Have anyone got a clue what's going on in my Drome? Do I have to go to a repairman to get it fixed?

/MrBaloo

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Sounds like it could be something heat related if it stops working after playing a while and then functions again once it has cooled down. Could be something simple like a bad solder point or something. I think you should bring it in to a repair guy and have it checked out.

3. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    At first I thought it was the silent cooling system that had been overheated (even if I didn't play loud at stage) and it shut the system off. I'm playing outhouse in a big tent this week and the environment is really "summer warm".
    Ok. Maybe something was poorly soldered in the electronics. The road to the gig is very bad and may cause things to break.
    I'm probably going to call the EBS staff to find out the closest repair firm... Until it's fixed, i have to use it as an DI-box (very big DI-box).

/MrBaloo

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Funny thing about the silent cooling system is that it works using the speaker as a "pump" to circulate air (this I got from an EBS tech). So the amp actually gets warmest when you don't play, and the more you crank it the more it cools from the speaker moving. I use it tilted back as a monitor and that makes the ventilation work less well (as the grill at the back is lower than the front of the amp) so the EBS tech suggested for that use that I turn the amp off between sets to not build up heat while not playing.

5. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Ok, turning off the Drome between sets is recommended by EBS. But I wounder what will happen if the amp is getting overheated? Will it automagically (!) shut off the power amp in a convinient way of safety or will it just begin to burn?

/MrBaloo

6. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Updated:

This morning I spoke to an EBS employee and got the advice to go through all input/output sockets and connect a cord to them. It might have been built up some layers of oxide in the sockets. The second advice was to open up the system and look at the electronics.
    After using the first "trick" the Drome worked again...

/MrBaloo - :p