1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My EBS multicomp makes my sound much brighter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by odin70, May 28, 2011.

1. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    I really didnt notice any change in sound when i tried it in the shop. but now..Bright bright bright. Does anyone have a clue?

Gk mb fusion, neo cabs, p bass with QP pickup.

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Putting an electronic buffer before your amp converts your signal to a low output impedance, which is less susceptible to signal loss. It's not really boosting your treble, it's just keeping your existing treble which is usually lost due to the capacitance of the cable. You'll notice this effect with most true bypass pedals. Tube sim mode should make it sound a bit warmer though!

3. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    +1 on using Tube Sim mode. I find it helpful when playing my Spector into a GK rig, which is great but not exactly the warmest rig you've ever heard!!!

4. Not sure if you're complaining or happy.
    I like mine, and what it does.

S

5. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    I would be happy if i was playing bass for Iron Maiden. I dont. My GK rig is too bright as it is..so somethings gotta go.

6. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    Is it like this in every mode?

7. It sounds like you might want to try a good set of flats on your bass. That would fix the problem, which is not with your multicomp. I would suggest chromes or ti jazz flats.

8. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    It is. And its brightest in the tubesim mode.

9. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    I use Roto77. They are on the bright side i know, but i love em.

10. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    So you have bright strings and a bright amp and you're wondering why the compressor makes your sound bright? Adjust the treble on your bass or on your amp.

(Obi Wan voice...)

"Luke, use the EQ!"

11. blueacid4l

blueacid4l Gold Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2006
    OK, I'm confused. I thought True Analog Bypass and Buffered Bypass were two totally different things.

12. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    My compressor makes my bright sound brighter. I know that i can adjust things on my amp :)

13. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Strange, I have the EBS multicomp as well, even though it makes things a bit brighter or shell I say punchier more defined highs, I can't say it is that bright. Neither my Geddy or my CV p with rounds turn to be too bright.
    I find the high mids on the GK to be quite bright and aggressive, try to reduce these a bit.

14. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    My GK will soon have to find itself a new owner.

15. If you're getting a big gain in level from the comp then you could be getting a quite different tone out of your preamp. Set your gain to match your bypass and you should find very little change in tone. Comps aim to modify dynamics, not tone.

There seems to be a lot of gain on tap with the multi comp I use mine in tubesim mode, comp/limit at noon, and I have to keep my gain down around 9 o-clock to match my bypass level.

16. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Same here

17. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    But it is a nice amp and there is not that many options in Norway considering these types of amps.

18. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Same for me too.

19. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    Try and adjust the threshold (screw off the lid); lower on the highs and higher on the lows, then run it at the multiband-mode.

But yeah, you're using bright strings and the Multicomp, or any other compressor, would accentuate that brightness and then send the signal to a GK-amp which also accentuate clarity.

20. I love my MultiComp! Wonderfully effective yet subtle compression. I only turn it off during low volume passages. It doesn't make your sound brighter, it evens it all out so those beautiful tonalities can be heard.