Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My EDA Is Strange Even For An Ergodyne...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by horus, Feb 7, 2005.

1. horus

horus

Feb 7, 2005
    Slidell, LA
    I'm a big fella, so everyone who knows me was very surprised when I bought my EDA905F (It's so tiny!). As I got to know the instrument, and adapt my hands to its neck and fingerboard, though, I have enjoyed playing it.

Not long ago, one of my tuning machines was damaged by something stupid I did. It still works fine, but one side of the slotted post is broken off, and it looks, well, bad.

So... as I started searching for replacement tuning machines, imagine my surprise to find out that no one makes them in this particular finish (Pewter) anymore. I've also searched the forums here to some extent and found no one with an EDA with this finish. I'm beginning to suspect that it is a unique animal.

Am I right in suspecting that the tuning machines are Gotoh G7, and that the upper machines are left-handed while the lowers are right-handed?

The instrument is finished in a charcoal or gun-metal color, and all the hardware is this dark pewter color that's not quite black but not quite chrome either. If I get off my duff and get out my camera I suppose I could post a picture or two of the beastie.

While I'm asking silly questions: has anyone had any luck with replacing the fingerboard on one of these necks? I'm given to understand that the board is some sort of synthetic material. Normally, a fingerboard is glued to the neck with hide glue, but I'd be willing to bet that Ibanez did something tricky here... I'm considering shaping out a piece of bubinga or wenge to make a new fingerboard, but I want to know what my chances are of getting the old one off without messing up the neck.

Any insights here will be greatly appreciated.

2. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I have the four string version of that bass in the same finish. You can get almost every part for the EDA from anyone who does warranty service for Ibanez. There's a schematic on the Ibanez site somewhere with an exploded view to make part number ID easier.

And while the body is Luthite, the neck is not. I believe it's three pieces of maple.

Hope this helps. My biggest complaint about the EDA is the quality of the piezos. My A string piezo conked out after about a year. I got the whole bass reconditioned last year, and now the E string piezo is out. I almost never play this bass, so it's quite infuriating.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I agree. Mine rarely work correctly, so I find myself only using the magnetic pickup.

4. horus

horus

Feb 7, 2005
    Slidell, LA
    Thanks to both of you for the info. I just got off the phone with Ibanez/Hoshino and they are looking for a tuning machine for me now. It helped me to learn how to determine the model year: look at the serial number's first two digits. In my case, "03" meant it's a 2003 model (surprising because I bought it in mid 2002 and the dealer from whom I bought it said that it had been hanging there a long time).

I had a spot of trouble with my piezo for the B string one time a while back. All I had to do to restore its tone was to make a slight bend in the string to improve saddle contact. I replaced the stock Elixirs shortly thereafter with Ernie Balls and had no problems (other than the nasty tone those Ernies get). Y'all might look at how well the string contacts the saddle on yours and see if that's the problem.

If my piezo ever dies, I'll probably gut the electronics from it and mount a Bartolini or EMG near the end of the bridge. Either way, I'm keeping the Ergodyne... and buying a fretted one when I can afford to.

5. Horus, I have an EDA905F in the same finish you have!

Small world.

I bought mine in April, 2002, but had to return mine because the piezo tone pot was punched inside the body. I got the replacement about 3 weeks later, and I just love the sound of this thing. I also love the unlined neck; just looks so good.

Essentially, this is a plastic bass, but so what?

The body is luthite, the fingerboard is ebonol, which I believe is a plastic similar to phenolic, which I believe is the hard plastic many manufacturers use for the handles on pot and pans. I think zeronyne is correct in saying that the only wood on this bass is the neck, and I also think it's maple.

I'm 99% sure that the EDAs have been discontinued, as they're no longer at the Ibanez site. www.ibanez.com If you want to get a fretted one my advice would be to hurry. There might still be a few floating around at some dealers, but the'll probably go fast.

Thankfully, I've had no problems with my piezos.

A fellow EDA905F owner. :) Cool. :cool:

Mike

6. I forgot to say that, if you take your bass outside on a nice, sunny day, you should be able to see a very deep shade of blue in the finish near where the scooped out part of the body is.

BTW, I've played a few of the fretted ones, and they sound slightly mellower than the fretless models. Maybe it's because the fretted ones have rosewood boards.

Mike