My Eden died Saturday

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lsu921, Aug 16, 2004.

1. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    My trusty WT300 crapped out on me Saturday night.. I have to bring it to the shop tomorrow. It's been losing power little by little, but Saturday night.. nothing. Luckily I had a GK400 as a backup.. The tone is a far cry from the Eden, but it will get me through until I can get the Eden fixed.. Hopefully it can be fixed.. :(
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What do you mean by - "losing power" ?

My WT300 has been very reliable over many years, but started cutting out at one point and I feared the worst - took it to a tech who opened it up and said there was nothing wrong with it - in fact he was like - wow this is amazingly well-built!!

It turned out the problem was fluff/dirt in the effects send-return jacks on the back,which caused the sound to cut out - it's designed to cut out when anything is inserted. I now always carry some cotton buds to clean these out!! ;)

Another time I thought it had gone and it was a bad speaker lead - swapped it and everything was fine - but I was struggling for a whole set!! :scowl:
  3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Could be preamp tubes dying? That's one thing that could cause gradual power loss.
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This is why I don't dig Edens.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah...totally dude. Eden gear is the only stuff that ever fails.

6. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    That's why Behringer > Eden.

7. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    The last few months I've had to gradually increase the volume. I play in a fairly small church, and I used to run with the gain at 12 o'clock and the Master barely turned on.. Right before it died I had both past 12 o'clock to get the same volume.

I'm hoping it's something simple.. It's been a very good little amp. Light weight and tons of tone.
  8. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    It does have the original tube, but it still lights up when I turn the power on, so I don't think that's it. I certainly could be wrong though..
  9. I wonder if thats a sign my carvin is dieing. R1000 bridged into a SVT410HE. used to use the master at about 1/4 of the way now I need it at least half way and its still not as loud(with gain the same).
  10. Couldn't hurt to try another preamp tube in there first and then atleast you can eliminate that as the problem. And if it is the tube, problem solved!
  11. Bad tubes still light up, so it being lit is not an indicator of it being good. Try throwing a new tube in there.
  12. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I'm going to pick up a tube tomorrow on the lunch break, and see if that does it..
  13. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

Shame on you! Don't even LOL, that's not funny at all!
    I saw Sting on Saturday night live....guess what head he was using? That's right the Behringer....NOT! He was using an Eden for a live gig infront of Millions of viewers. I guess he feels they are reliable.
  14. [violins playing in the background]

R.I.P. We should hold a vigil for your Eden. ;)

Hope you get it fixed in the meantime...

15. Really?

I thought he was an Ampeg kinda guy... I've got three of his DVD's and im sure theres 2 x SVT4 into 2 x 410HLF

go sting!
  16. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    That really sounds like a preamp tube gone south. Hopefully for you, it is. Good luck.

17. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA

Please excuse me if this sounds arrogant or offensive, but... I completely disagee.

I beat the heck outta my WT-550 and overheat the heck out of it a LOT, and my pair of D210XST's on a regular basis (It's HOT in TX - LOL!), and hands down..... this is the best rig I've owned. Never had a single problem, which leads me to wonder why you'd post a comment like that?

Please don't get me wrong. I will NOT endorse and defend gear just because I own and/or use it. If I unknowingly buy underperforming and/or unreliable crap, I'll be the first to publicize it. But, for me anyway, I've had the greatest respect for Eden, as the tone and reliability is exactly what I'd expected and need. Could you perhaps elaborate on your negative experiences with them? I'm all ears. TIA.
  18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Happened to me once, and it was a simple preamp tube. $7 part, and all was well again . . .
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hey MJ5150 ... you got a bite. Way to go.
  20. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Taking after you and I.