My eden is buzzing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by incognito89x, Jul 27, 2004.

1. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I've only had the cab for a week and it's started buzzing on me today :( I'm not entirely sure why. I checked the speakers and I don't see any creases (i'm not 100% positive of what to look for, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary) I also took off the grill and tighted the screws holding the speakers in place and that didn't solve the problem either. I running it with an Ampeg B2R. I can't imagine I'm pushing it too hard, I never had the Gain or Master above half, and I'd think a 700 watt cab could handle 175 watts (or so) of power. I hadn't changed any settings on the amp or my bass in quite a while. I never had a problem with the Avatar cab I had, and up until today the Eden worked perfectly. Now I get a buzz, mainly on the lower frequencies. Playing low D's and B's and such causes the most buzzing. It hardly buzzes on the A and happens less and less on the D and G. It doesn't seem to have too much effect, because playing along to MP3's I couldn't really hear the buzz a whole lot, but playing solo it was obvious.

Anybody have a clue what the problem could be? :ninja: :(
  2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I am just getting through a traumatic event regarding my 410 XLT. I had one driver fail and another damaged. When I took it in to be fixed, the tech found that one of the drivers was an obvious recone (probably a reconditioned basket from the factory) and that the dust cap was not glued back in place correctly. Check the caps and see if they are all properly glued. That may cause a buzz. I am massively disappointed with what I found out about my Eden cab and all of my Eden gear is going up for sale once I finish getting the cab repaired.
  3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    That sucks Folmeister!

Icognito...I'm gonna ask a question that isn't meant to sound condescending, because it happened to me.

Are you sure that it's the speaker that's rattling and not doors/windows/floors/furniture/etc.? Something in the room I've been playing in (guest room with some furniture and hardwood floors) buzzes when I play through my Eden...I moved it away from a wall, shut a bathroom door and it went away.

Just checking,
  4. Have you checked the input for the speaker? Mine was buzzing a lot as well so I check the input and the input not being used had massive amounts of air coming out of it when I played. I got a piece of foam, plugged the hole (I can still take it out if I want) and the buzzing/rattling stopped. I guess it's worth a shot. Good Luck.
  5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Or is it noise from the port? Or new sounds you're hearing through a horn for the first time? Or the power cord vibrating against your rack?

I've had both of those sounds and at first thought it was the speakers.
  6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Voice Coil rub.

Rough Shipping/Handling can cause this.
  7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Can you describe the buzz at all?
  8. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    have you tried using another bass, changing all the cables, to rule out if it's from your bass, or a bad cable or jack? Is the outlet your using grounded?
  9. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Ricplaya, It's not coming from my bass. I played my Warwick Thumb on it all week. I wanted to try out my Essex jazz on it today, and after a couple minutes of using that I noticed it was having the buzz. I also tried replacing the battery on the Thumb to no avail.

Smperry, I'm not positive it's the speaker itself, but I know it's not something else in the room. Putting my ear next to the cab I can tell it's coming from there.

Tornado, I don't think so. Like I said I've played it all week up til now with no problem. I checked the horn and it didn't seem to be the problem.

Folmeister, how would I go about checking that?

Thanks for the responses guys.

edit: Firkin, it's just a buzzing noise that doesn't really show up except for low notes. Basically it seemed Open E down through the Open B. The higher notes don't seem to cause the vibration much or at all.

The sound is weird I suppose. I still seem to get the full clear note, but over the note there is the buzzing, almost like a rattling.
  10. Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    It's really important that you move it to another room and try it. It could be a ground issue, it could be a sympathetic vibration.

Hope this helps
  11. I tore a 2x15 cab completely down, and found no cause for a buzz. further investigation found a dirty pot on the parametric EQ. Cleaned pots and all connectors and the buzz went away. The speaker was innocent, it was just reproducing the signal that it recieved. The noise that it made was just like a torn cone would make.

12. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Thanks! That might've done the trick :)

I had some compressed air cleaner stuff (bought for my computer) and cleaned out all the inputs and such. Gave it a quick test, didn't hear any buzzing.

I'll give it a better run through tomorrow (when it's not 11 at night :p) But sounds like that may have fixed things (either that or the suggestion to move it from sympathetic vibration.