Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Eden WT300 "died" ! What to do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So at my Jazz class on Saturday, my WT300 head clicked and then stopped - no sound! The fan came on loudly and there was a very quiet distorted bass sound coming out when I played - but basically that's it. Of course I checked that it wasn't the bass by trying this through somebody else's amp.

It came back on intermittently at first, but now has really died. I have other cabs - but only one amp - so it's a bit of a downer. :(

So my question now is what to do? I contacted my insurance company and they said my policy doesn't cover this - only things like theft, accidental damage etc. I phoned the local amp shop and they don't do repairs - although they gave me a number for a guy who does locally but I can't get him on the phone - although I have left a message.

I phoned Overwater where I bought it - but they have their phone on answerphone as well.

So - has anybody had this problem - I have had the thing for 3-4 years - do they last longer than that? Any ideas what is wrong - how expensive it is to repair etc.?

Any UK people - London-based maybe, who know where does repairs and how expensive - any recommendations?

I am at a loss now, for what to do next or be stuck with no amp!

2. Does the 300 have a tube in it? I'd check that out first, its the simplest to fix and the cheapest. Beyond that, I'm of no help, except to say you can send it to Eden for repair, but you'll be without an amp for an extended period of time.

3. Bruce Lindfield

It's supposed to have a tube pre-amp - maybe the tube on that's gone? I just spoke to Overwater(where I bought it) by phone and they don't do them any more and don't know much about them - they say they haven't stocked them for 3 years!

I think if I can't get it repaired by a local guy then I'll probably have to try to London shops - Bass Centre or Gallery?

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I don't know if it is the answer or not but they do have a tube in them which is very easy to find and install. Just take out the cover screws, lift the lid, look in the front portion, where the preamp lies, and you'll see it. It's glaringly obvious when you see it. Find another 12ax7 and pop it in. Hopefully it will be that simple but... your symptoms (and I'm no expert) sound like it may be something other than that.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If it were mine, I'd give it a viking funeral.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Ahah!! Just managed to get the local amp repairer on the phone - apparently their shop is only open in the afternoons! They reckon they can fix it, so I am just off to take my amp round there!!

I'll let you know,later!!

7. Bruce,

Just had a similar situation with my WT-600 recently. My amp is a 1997 model, I bought it second hand and it worked like a dream for about a year. I had noticed that the gain pot became a bit scratchy-sounding, and then at one of our gigs, I noticed the cooling fan wasn't coming on.... time for the Eden to go into the shop.

The local audio repair shop 'tried' to fix it (unsuccessfully), & Eden electronics was not answering their phone or email (due to the transition of company ownership). Finally found a facility that was confident in their ability to do the repair, only they had a 4 to 6 week backlog .....:(

I've had to beg, borrow, and practically steal to arrange a bass amp for gigs (while mine is in the shop).... but all is well now. The Eden is on it's way home, with a 90 day warranty on the repair. Cost to repair the pot, fix the cooling fan circuit, and test was $152 (US). The repair facility said that the amp is now working perfectly, fully tested to full power, and that Eden is among the best-built equipment that they have worked with (don't get rid of it).

For your amp repair, if you want to avoid wasting time, I suggest the following:
    -- When deciding on a repair facility, definitely ask them if they have worked on Eden equipment before. If not, keep looking.
    -- Also, ask them if they have schematics for your amp (or a similar one in the Eden line) in their posession. If not, keep looking.
    -- Find out what the backlog is for the repair. Your amp may sit in the shop for a few weeks before it even gets to the 'bench'.

I have had to utilize a small practice amp (as preamp / DI to mixing board) in conjunction with a typical pro audio power amplifier, as my bass rig for the last 6 weeks. This (borrowed preamp / power amp) may be a workable option for you, too.

Good luck Bruce, keep us posted.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Thanks for all that and I think this is a very useful experience for me and will maybe help others - but I really got lucky!! :)

It turns out the amp repair guy I have known for about 20 years has just set up shop very close to where I live - I haven't seen him for ages but he remembers me from when I used to be in pop/riock groups that "made it big" in the 80s!! ;)

Anyway - so I jus went round and his friend/fellow repairer had a quick look and tested everything to see it was working, then discovered what he said was the "classic" for things like this :

- dirt or some foreign body in the send/return inputs, which was causing the sound to cut out!

I was so relieved !!!

So there is nothing actually wrong and he was just like "eulogising" over how well-built the thing is and that it will last for many years!! He put it back together and I gave him a £10 note and all was well!!

I can't believe my luck and I would just say - add to the FAQ, if it's not there already:

If your amp cuts out - check there's nothing in the send/return jacks that shouldn't be there!!

9. Bruce, that is great news!!

[​IMG]

This little tool is handy for cleaning 1/4" plugs / jacks.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Hmmm.... interesting - thanks, I'll have to look out for one of those!! ;)

11. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Bruce, glad to hear that it was a pretty simple fix. It's kinda scary when you only have one amp and have to face the prospect of being without for a period of time.

I've been inside my Eden stuff and it is first class stuff. Very top shelf parts.

I was talking to a long-time Eden dealer and he said that the amps seem to enjoy a long life. ;)

12. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - I can't really afford to have two amps of this price/quality... just in case!

It was the first time I had seen inside mine and although it looked neat I wouldn't have known the difference just from looking, but the repairer was pointing out how high quality everything was and that it should last forever!!

It has been a good learning experience, despite the fact that I was pretty depressed about it on Saturday and Sunday!

13. Hey Bruce, is your amp still working fine?:confused:

14. Bruce Lindfield

Yes it is thanks! I used it on Tuesday night at the Jazz Co-op with my 5-string EUB and it was sounding good!

I would never have imagined that a small piece of dirt of whatever it was, could cause me so much grief!!