Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Effects Plan...help me out

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnm0187, May 1, 2005.

1. I'm in the process of completely rebuilding my pedal board from scratch. This is what I'm thinking:

Octaver- Boss OC-2/3
    Distortion- EH Big Muff (russian)
    Overdrive- DOD 250
    Phase- MXR 90
    Envelope- Mini Q
    Wah- Dunlop 100
    Delay- ???

I already have the mini Q and the Dunlop and I love them.

I have no idea what kinda of delay I should get. I already have a compressor in my preamp that works very well. Are the choices I have for the pedals good? I'm not really sure about octavers.

I'm prolly going to try out a bass balls and see if I like it, and if I do i'll add it.

I'm into funky effects, but also play a little rock with my band, so any other suggestions would be great.

And what is the best order for these to go in?

Thanks for the help

John

2. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I've gone the most bang for the buck route with my pedals and I am very happy with what I have and what sound I'm getting. Also buying used so bonus! Anyways I have the Ibanez DE-7...has a few options/controls on it and I've nben able to dial in some great sounding dreamy type stuff. For the Octave world I bought a Digitech Bass Synth...like someone else on this board it's like buying an Octave pedal with bonus features.

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Roland Space Echo is all you need for your delay...but get ready to pay $300+ easily on ebay.

I like the distortion and OD pedal choices I have a Ruskie Big Muff and it does the job real well. Been sitting on the fence about the DOD tho

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    So far so good. Can't comment on the BOSS Octaver, but a Big Muff is a good choice no matter what. The DOD 250 was nice and subtle and I'm actually starting to miss mine. The MXR Phase 90 is a great choice, I'm going to be in the market for one soon, and frankly the Mini Q-tron is cool too! My only change I would make if it were my board is switch the Dunlop for a Morley, but that's me!

As far as Delay, I'd personally go with an Ibanez DE-7. Can be had about $50 on eBay, and sounds pretty darn good! If you choose to go analog, it's pretty pricey!

5. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    I'm happy with my Boss DD-6. The DD-3 is almost the same, cheaper. It sounds just straight, doesn't really "color" the sound, that's what I was looking for. Some people are searching for more colorful delay, maybe it's your case. The Line6 DL4 seems to be very good and versatile, maybe you should try it (quite big, though...)

The Muff is allways a good choice, really cheap for just what you need in fuzz.

6. The Ibanez DE-7 looks pretty interesting. I'll give it a try.

What order should these go in...I know distortion an overdrive should go near the beginning.

There any other effects I should check out. I've tried chorus and flanger and they weren't my cup o' tea.

7. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I would toss some of the other stuff ona loop like the delay and octaver (but I don';t know about that one.

Distortion->OD->Wah->everything else would be about the best place to start out with. Just toy with it until you get it to sound like you want it to