Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my electra

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darthspada, Jan 20, 2001.

1. darthspada

darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    I just purchased an Electra four string bass (no pictures yet) with ash body, maple neck and fretboard, split single coil pickup. I'd been playing a 75 Fender P-Bass. The Electra plays and sounds much better, believe me on this. I've put the two through sound comparisons on my practice amp and on my gig amp, a mid 60s Ampeg head and cab with 2x15 speakers. The range of tones is incredible. I'm currently in a reggae band (Black Santa), so diversity in tone is vital. By using only the tone knob on the instrument, I can get the most authentic "Familyman" Barret tone you've ever heard (other than from Familyman himself) with the tone set to bass. By twisting the knob to full treble, I can get the punch and funk I need for the dub parts of some songs. Knob in the middle achieves a straight forward rock sound. I don't even have to touch the tone controls on the amp!

Here's the problem. I don't have any information on this instrument. I know I'm not the only one searching, too. I payed $200 US for the beaut, but I'm sure it's worth more than that. If anyone knows anything about Electra basses, or knows any GOOD web sites for obtaining information on vintage instruments, please respond to this posting.

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Electra instruments were made in Japan in the mid 70's and imported by the St. Louis Music Company. For the most part, they were high quality copies of Fenders and Gibsons....and often, even better than the original.
    They are starting to get more attention by the "vintage" collectors...so if you find one...get it now, before the prices go up....:)
    Here is a pic of my Electra Les paul Custom...

[​IMG]

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations on your new bass, darth, and welcome to Talkbass!

Does it look like this one?

[​IMG]

I bought this one used in 1983 or 1984, it came with a fretted neck(I put it on another bass and it got stolen!:mad: ) and the fretless neck that you see here.

It has a volume knob, a parametric EQ knob which gets tones from low deep dub reggae all the way to tooth and glass shattering highs, and a regular tone control as well.

It also has a toggle pickup selector up on the horn, and 3 mini toggles.

One is a phase switch, one is an active/passive switch and I have no earthly idea what the 3rd switch does.

And of course, it has a P/J pickup setup.

This bass has more tones than any that I have ever played. But I've got so many nice basses that it doesn't see much action anymore.

When I get my new fretless 5, I am going to put black nylon tapewounds on this bass for those occasions when I need an upright sound. With those strings and the controls on this bass, I am able to get a pretty darned good approximation of that sound.

[Edited by embellisher on 01-20-2001 at 11:17 AM]

4. darthspada

darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Embelisher's bass is much prettier than mine. The only similarity is the shape. Picture that bass with a natural ash body, one pickup, one tone knob, no toggles, and a maple fretboard. That's what my bass looks like. Thanks for the responses, too!