Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My electronics suck!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matt Till, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright here's the deal, I plugged in my bass and I got this horrible buzz sound. So I open it up, and a wire is detached from my input jack... I sodered it back on... no dice... still getting that horrible noise. HELP!

2. Did you solder it back onto the correct lug?

Active electronics? Check the battery.

Also make sure on any of the volume pots the wire soldered to the back of it or to the top of the pots body are connected.

Check ALL grounding. Check your guitar lead to make sure the wires inside arent touching.

:D:D

Merls

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ok, I'm fairly sure I soldered it back into the correct lug. Nope, Passive electronics. I'll check the rest of your suggestions out though... but could you please explain the "check all grounding" issue. It's great that I don't know jack about electronics, but I'm trying to fix my basses electronics. But correct me if I'm wrong, but the imput jack should have a positive and a negative on the opposite ends right?... errr are there any diagrams for a Yamaha (I forget the model name, 260 something... it's the cheap o' 200 dollar one in musicians friend)

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    P.S. I'd email the Yamaha company, but they have the worst customer service ever! If you want a company that really backs there products/customers DON'T GO WITH YAMAHA!

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Is it the RBX260 or `260F? Is so, it's probably wired-up very much like a standard P bass...

[​IMG]

I've got a `260F and when replacing the pup, I realized I'd
    have to run a ground 'buss' from pot to pot to output jack.

See, normally, the grounds are soldered to the backs or
    case of each pot. I believe on the actual P's, the control
    plate is metallic (i.e., conductive). Therefore, solder to the
    pot case, the case is in contact with the plate, the plate
    then is at ground.

With the 260, there is no control plate so the pots are isolated
    from one another. So, say you solder the pickup's ground wire
    to the first pot (volume). That's where the ground will stop unless
    you run a wire from the case of the volume pot to the case of
    the tone pot. Then from the case of the tone pot to the ground
    lug of the output jack.

Don' t forget the ground wire comin' from the bridge!

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Aha! There it is! Wired like a P-Bass, eh? Alright thanks! I'm not sure nd, but you may have solved my problem. Help me out with this diagram... On the Mono Output jack... where does the wire on the left that turns into an arrow go (or come from)? I'm gonna open my baby up and take another look. Once again, thanks a lot! :)

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    With my RXB260, there is a little tab on each pot that I can run a ground to.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Aha, once again! It appears I have to read the diagram, and it will just show me the answer! Got it figured out. [sings to nd]Did you ever know that your my heeeeroooo, you're everything I would like to beeeeeeeeeeee. I can fly higher than eagle, because of this diagram you gave meeeeeeeeeee.[/sings to nd]

9. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

As long as you suffered no 3rd degree burns and your bass sounds better [​IMG]

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I did have a few minor burns, but nothing I'd call 3rd degree. Those soldering irons get hotter than 3 suns :eek:. But I hate to say it, but a new problem arouse! Now it plays, but only when I have the volume in a certain postition. And it's not a volume anymore... and my tone knob doesn't do anything. I think I screwed something up when I took the knobs off. :( :( I think I'm gonna cry. I can't take it to a pro, I got zero cash... actually negative 300 to be exact.

11. You may have bad pots. They are fairly inexpensive parts, but being broke... I've been there.

Anyhow, what you may want to do to get your bass in working order again is bypass the pots, and make volume and tone adjustments through your amp. At least that way you'll be able to play.

Just solder the pickup wires straight to the input jack.

If you can live with having useless knobs for awhile, until you can get a pro to fix it, it might be the best way to go.

12. Problem solved?

See Notduane and a few others (including me) seem to sniff out the word electronics when it comes to this forum.. *sniff sniff* dont know about Notduane tho... been feeding 'dem camels this morning? :p

Merls

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah, that's what I'm probably gonna do. But I know some guy who's a whiz at electronic stuff, he'll take a look at it pretty soon... ugh. I should learn more about this crap. Probably bad pots though.

14. Matt, what is the heat range on your soldering iron? If it gets really hot (mine maxes out at 700 degrees) you could melt internal parts of the pots as you solder wires and capcitors and stuff. I melted the guts on one of the pots on my P bass. You may want to check into getting a soldering iron that isn't so hot.

15. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    True, true. I think Agro-Eunice got into the Eldeberries again.
    She knows what they do to her tummy, but...oh the mess!
    You remember the blood & elevator scene from The Shining? :eek::p

Chaos-G has a good point there. What kinda' soldering iron
    did ya' use? If it was one of those "gun" types you may indeed
    have fried the pot's innards. I get by with a 40 watt pencil
    type from R/S; maybe a tad much for lug work, but just enough
    for soldering to pot cases.

16. Yeah i get by with the pencil types. i use a 25 watter. Perfect for the small scale stuff. Especially in amps with the semiconductors!

Merls

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm not sure, I know it's not one of those guns... and it it's shaped like a pencil. I borrowed it from a friend. Also, for reference, it isn't technically as hot as three suns, but I still don't enjoy touching it.

18. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    :eek: Ohhh you wacky young `uns and your newfangled notions.

[​IMG]

;)

19. I am still planning on building my valve amp. I have the Valves, power transformer, output transformer and enough televisions for parts..... just need a chassis. Preferably aluminium or Nickel, something i can highly polish.

Merls

20. Hey merls, why not use one of them TVs for a chassis? I think an amp in a TV case would look cool! Of course, you could really only make a 1x15 or 1x18. But still :D