Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Electronics went too

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mike, Nov 12, 2000.

1. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I don't have an exotic like a Lakland,just a Carvin. However, I suddenly have the same problem.(Could be a virus being spread thru Talkbass :) My electronics are distorting and the signal is fading in and out. Yes, I changed the battery and still the same effect,plugged in my other bass and it was fine. Tried the Carvin again and the same result. Any thoughts. What the hell?

I WILL have to send mine out. I live in a backwwods town with no hope of anyone around here benig able to repair it.

Damn.Damn.Damn.

2. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    paleale,

I had a problem with my Carvin LB70's electronics shortly after I got it. It may have been bad since the start, but I didn't notice it until I started using a cabinet with a horn.

There was a sound that I describe as "snapping". It was intermittant, but could also be "triggered" by tapping on the control cavity plate, or removing it and rubbing one of the wires.

I called Carvin, and they offered to send a new preamp free (the bass was under warranty). I wasn't positive where the problem lay, so I opted to send the bass back. It took three weeks and cost me more in shipping than I expected.

They replaced a wire, a capacitor and some other stuff, and it worked great for a few months. Then the same problem occured. So THIS time I had them send me a new preamp and had my guitar tech put it in. If your bass is under warranty and you're sure the problem is in the preamp, I recommend you have a new part shipped.

I've heard quite a few "that's your own tough luck stories" from former Carvin owners, but my experiences have been pretty good overall. Ask for Albert in the repair department.

Bob

3. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I thought of something else: Is your bass a lot louder in active mode? Maybe the internal trimpot is set too high. Or, maybe you're boosting too much eq, thus overdriving the preamp. However, if the sound is "fading" in and out it's my guess that there are loose wires or faulty components.

Bob