1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My EMG Pups and pre are killing my batteries

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lobaw, Feb 26, 2008.


  1. Lobaw

    Lobaw

    May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Perhaps someone can help me figure this one out. I've got EMG pups and electronics which use a 9 volt battery. For some reason, in the last year the battery has been losing its charge even if the cord isn't plugged into the jack. The last battery only lasted 2 months!! I've been using Duracell and Panasonic with good results. I looked at all the wiring and the jack and can't find anything obvious which may be causing the problem. Also, everything sounds find when I install a new battery, so I think the electronics are good.

    Any suggestions would be helpful - short of unplugging the battery once I'm done playing.
     
  2. looks like your harness is wired in a wrong way, it is hard to check the issue by the forum, i would recommend to visit your local technician for rewiring your bass from scrap.

    I believe this issue is easy to fix.

    //i've done an off/on switch in my ibz, so it is not important wether my bass plugged or not, i simply disconnecting positive polarity [+] from battery by that switch
     
  3. I had this prob once, there was a tiny piece of wire touching the output jack, surprisingly it worked fine with a fresh battery, but would drain overnight, even unplugged.
     
  4. El-Bob

    El-Bob Supporting Member

    Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    sorry for the unnecessary bump, but that is genius:bassist:
     
  5. Warpeg

    Warpeg Supporting Member

    Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    If you are using the stock Switchcraft 3-conductor 1/4" jack that came with your pickups/preamp, that is probably your culprit. I've had a few instances where the ring and sleeve contacts were touching ever so slightly. It was enough to kill the batteries quickly. Instead of going to the trouble of drilling a new hole in your bass, installing a DPDT switch, and spending time/money on installation, why not just pull out the jack and make sure the contacts aren't touching?
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.