My EMG's distort a bit

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Arjan, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    I have two single coil pickups in my bass (the jazzbassickups in a humbucking casing, 35j)
    And I noticed that when I play my bass over a studio monitor or any other hifi kinda cabinet I get a bit of distortion on the low E-string. I 1st though it would be the preamp, but no, it isn't. Also the pickups are far enough away from the strings so that can't be the problem and I also run them on 18 volts (with new batteries). Adjusting the volume or gain on both bass or amp doesn't solve the problem either.
    Does anyone here have the same problem?
  2. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    EMG claims if you experience distortion,you should either turn down the pre/gain on your amp,or turn the volume on your bass down some,emg says it doesnt affect the tone any? could try not plucking so hard? good-luck...
  3. Hi,

I know this is basic. (I'm just a newbie parroting here...) I just read something about distortion while searching the archive...

With an active, if you experience distortion, you should try the low impedance input.
  4. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Are you running those EMG's into an onboard preamp in your bass? Could the pickup, (which has an internal preamp) be overdriving the onboard pre in your bass? I have heard of it happening. Just a thought.
  5. Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    No the bass doesn't have an onboard preamp (my 6-string has and it doesn't distort!)

The thing I'm thinking of is that the e-string is to wobbly. My 4-string is 32"and the e-string is 95 thick. My 6-string is 34"and has a 105 e-string.
    What I mean is, the sloppier e-string will have more sideway movement since it will cost less engery to move the string in either direction. Couldn't this be the cause of generating a bit of distortion?The pickup will "see" this greater string movement and will transelate it into an unwanted electric signal.

Hmmmm, maybe I'm right.
    I think I'll buy a single 105 e-string and see if it gives any improvement.
  6. tried lowering the pickups?

i thought i heard somewhere that when the pickups are raised too high it can cause distortion...