My end pin assembly fell out.

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by gruffpuppy, Nov 2, 2002.

1. I had a new Gotz endpin put in my DB about a year ago. Tonight I loosened the strings to clean the bass. As I moved my DB the endpin assembly fell out and to the floor.

Any suggestions on how to secure it into place?
    It fits fine but is easily turned. Easily falls out with out the string tension. It was snug before and I am guessing it should still be that way.
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Worry only if it can rock when in place and not under pressure, so it is at an angle under string pressure. If not, being able to turn is no problem, the pressure from the tailgut holds it in place.
  3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Pup Daddy-
    If your endpin is falling out I'm worried aboot where your soundpost is.

If under tension there is a noticable angle diff between the ep assembly [should be 90 degrees{how come there's no little degree zero on a keyboard}] and the bass bottom, then you may have a problem. There's a leverage issue there and the endblock is more vulnerable to cracking from a blow. A quick fix to a loose assembly is sandpaper shim-you have to experiment with grits.
  4. Thanks for the quick responses.

I was holding the DB a a little bit of an angle so the sound post wouldn't slip.

I leaned it just enough to put it on a bench and the endpin and friends slipped out.
    Doesn't seem to have front to rear or side to side sloppiness but it will slide in and out of the hole easily.

If you want the ° sign hold the ALT key and type 0176 on the number pad. Release the ALT key and it will put it in.

For more available symbols you can go to Start, Run, and type charmap. Hit OK or enter.

I scares the bejeezus out of me the amount of stuff Microsoft hides.
  5. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny