1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Entry to the World of Bassiness

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WD_Stevens, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Hello all you lovely bassists on here!
    I am 16 and have only just decided to take up the bass. My first bass arrived in the mail today (after a very lengthy 10-day stopover in customs) and am eager to get started.

I was inspired to take up the bass by Paul McCartney. I recently became quite a Beatles/post-Beatles fan and I had a compulsion to sing some songs through putting a band together at school. However, it felt unnatural singing without some sort of guitar in my hands so I thought, naively, that bass would be easier than guitar. Since then, I have developed a real liking for the bass and its sound so it all worked out for the best.

I do intend to get the Hofner Ignition in a few months time as that would just be the pinnacle of anything I could own bass-related. I wouldn't use it for everything but it'd be more an ownership for aesthetic purposes and onstage performances than anything.

Is there anything you would reccommend to an absolute beginner or any advice from life experience? I have done a bit of experimenting with the basses in the music room at school so I know how the whole thing works but I have trouble shifting easily between frets and strings and making it sound clean.

I do intend to start some original compositions with a little group of mine (none of whom are proficient in any instrument so we're all learning and experimenting together) and have worked on some rhythms and lyrics but have no understanding on how to get it down into any sort of practical form.

Thought I would share some photos of me with my bass and wondered if anyone could identify the brand. On the headstock it reads 'Super guitars' but numerous googlings reveal nothing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    It's what we call a P-bass copy probably made in China/Korea/Indonesia. It is modeled after a Fender P-bass and is probably adequate for learning on. In my experience though, the action on these is usually terrible and they are not the easiest basses to play cleanly.

Go ahead and learn the fretboard notes right away and take advantage of lessons if you can. If you can't afford them, then get on Youtube and you will find several decent free online lessons to get you going.

Welcome to the world of bass playing.

3. Ivan M

Ivan M

Aug 2, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Welcome to the world of BASS, ah to be young again. Good starter bass, but as the person above posted a little difficult for low action play. Learn on it. try and take lessons and enjoy, most importantly HAVE FUN. The more fun you have the easier it becomes to want to learn new things.

4. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    Welcome to the low end! Take some lessons, even if it's just a few from a friend who knows what he's doing. YouTube can be helpful, but what you really need when you're starting out is to have someone physically show you the basics, IMO.

Also to clarify since you're new- the action is the distance of the strings from the fretboard. Most players prefer low action so that it takes less effort in your left hand to fret notes. Since your bass is new and relatively cheap, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take it to a local guitar shop and have them set it up.

5. Thanks guys! I was considering taking some lessons anyway as I'm sure they'd be beneficial.

I'm mainly finding the fret spacing at the lower end is quite wide which makes it difficult to shift quickly. The lower end is certainly easier to press but I find it difficult to get my fingers over more than two frets comfortably. Three or four at a big stretch but it is difficult.

What exactly does a set-up entail? I've seen it mentioned but not really understood what it does.

6. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
  7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations on your first bass! As others have said - it should be swell to learn on. If you hang around this forum long enough, you'll soon experience the pain of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) and start craving more basses, and more expensive ones.

I noticed your comment on difficulties stretching your fingers. Some people advocate one-finger-per-fret, but in my experience it's better to go 124 on the lower frets (index finger on one fret, middle on the next, pinky on the third). You can stretch from there as needed. I do highly recommend watching this video to think about healthy fretting technique -

8. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    Welcome to the family, brother! :bassist:

The first thing you should do is simply familiarize yourself with your instrument. When you are comfortable with it, you should definitely learn how to properly set up your bass. It's almost scary at first, you'll worry your going to screw something up. But, continue on and you'll be pleased with the outcome. It gets easier every time you do it. I set my basses up twice a year, after the weather changes - typically May and November. Feel free to ask us any questions. Most of us are glad to help! :)

9. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie

Nov 28, 2009
    Welcome to the world of bass.A fine bass to learn on and probably much better than the old Teisco's and Harmony's of the 60's. We now , mainly have jumbo frets and it always was hard at first to get your fingers to stretch but it will come. Please take at least a few lessons from a good teacher.The positioning of your hands ,try to learn the correct way so 30 years from now your hands ,wrists and back will still be in good shape for playing long gigs.Bass can and will be your best friend. Have fun with it.

10. Haha, well, I wouldn't mind a Ric but that's a long way off yet!
    Thanks! That video is actually really helpful. It's improved my speed and comfortability almost instantly.
    I'll take it down to the guitar shop in Melbourne and see if they do them. I'd rather get a pro first off or at least someone show me. I'm not the most confident of people in the world. Which, I suppose is a quality I will definitely need to develop for band performing.

Thanks for all the help, guys! I really appreciate it.

11. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    will be of some help to you.

Attached Files:

12. Ooh! Thank you very much! That will come in very handy.

13. Welcome to the wolrd's finest instrument, in our minds anyway. You will find a tremendous amount of information on TalkBass from our brethren and sistren (is that a word?). I'm proud to be part of the TalkBass family. I'd like to think we're a supportive group. Post a question and it's typically answered in a matter of minutes.

If you haven't done so already, take some time to look through the stickie posts at the top of this forum. They contain a number of frequently addressed topics. You can check out different threads, like Ask a Pro, etc. Spend some time looking through the Bass Classifieds. View the pictures, you will quickly realize there are basses to be lusted after.

Your profile information isn't completed. Where are you from?

14. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    I'll try and remember this thread later when I get around a computer.
    If it'll be of help to you I'll link the videos on YouTube for setting up a bass.

I know you said your not the most confident but I assure you I could teach my kid how to do it with ease.
    It requires the most basic of tools, very little mechanical ability, and very little time.
    It's actually quite easy to do and once you do it successfully you'll be so glad you learned and save a ton of money in the long run.

The videos are extremely simple to understand and very easy to follow them, they're done in 4 separate steps and all are simple.
    Anyway I'll try and remember to post them when I get back to the actual computer.

I learned from these videos with no experience at all, on a 50 year old 1962 Pre CBS Fender Jazz, you honestly can't possibly get more nervous than that.
    And I made it through surprised how simple it really was.

15. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Congrats and welcome to the basement and the family. Man I remember when I first started out.

16. I'm from Melbourne, Australia. And thanks for reminding me! I completely forgot about that. It's normally the first thing I do.
    That's certainly very encouraging, thank you. My little group at school intend to start doing our first performance in just over three months so I've chosen two songs with very easy basslines to start with so I can be sure I won't stuff them up.

17. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    Based upon your "entrance," I predict you'll be a fine bassist!

Welcome to the madness!

18. TechDeath

TechDeath

May 16, 2012
    Lol that's almost my exact bass, pretty sure mines a Korean 92 squier precision

19. Haha, thank you very much. I shall keep this thread updated with my progress. :)

20. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    I haven't forgotten you, I'll get the videos linked up here in a few minutes.
    Sorry for the delay.