1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Epi Thunderbird is kind of good for the money!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metal_ch, Dec 17, 2006.

1. metal_ch

metal_ch

Apr 10, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    I bought it second hand from ebay like a month ago and arrived a couple of days (I live in Venezuela). For the price its a very good bass with lots of growl, has a kind of a hollow vintage vibe in the tone that I like a lot. Never tried the gibson buy I'm not gonna compare, this is just another bass with a bird body. Changed the pins position and cured the neck dive a lot. The bass is very heavy probably because of the mohagany body. Not sure if it's really mohagany but its what epiphone says jejeje. Nice hot humbuckers, asian made tb plus. Took away all the decals and the celtic cross.

HPIM0688.
    Here with my heavily modified SX P57
    HPIM0678.
    HPIM0684.

2. MarkAndHisBass

MarkAndHisBass

Nov 4, 2006
    Scotland
    Woaw!!

That's a beauty. The Gothic colour is brilliant. Best of luck with it.

What's that other bass?

Edit: Never saw that you said it was SX

3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Nice basses!
    On the Epi, keep an eye on two items:

The bridge mounting pieces.
    Sometimes they work loose and need Crazy Glue on the part that seats into the body.
    EpiStudProblem.

The strap buttons especially the rear one can come loose. The white one came loose 3 times(no glue, silicone glue, then wood glue on the screw threads). NOW the rear ones on my Epi's get a drop of epoxy glue in the screw hole and a tiny bit on the screw threads before installation.

4. El-Bob

El-Bob

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    very nice

5. Epic's are amazing for the money, ive got a gothic, love it.

6. metal_ch

metal_ch

Apr 10, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    The other bass is and modded SX P57.
    Thanks for the tips, I've already used some epoxy for the pins, the bridge mounting pieces look solid for now jeje. I'm thinking of modding it with an original black badass bridge but I do not know what to use to fill up the holes left. Also if the spacing is too much. Probably a Schaller bridge with roller sadles can be better. The some cts pots.

7. I have actually tried putting a Fender-style bridge on my Epi TBird - drilled the holes and everything... The string spacing on the Fender bridge was too wide, and the strings are riding the edge of the fingerboard at about the 10th fret, so I used the epoxy trick to anchor the original bridge in place. I really don't like the original bridge - difficult to adjust the intonation, can't adjust individual string height, and I just can't seem to get the action low enough. It is functional enough to work, but not my preference in bridge choices. However, the sound is great!

8. RBasss

RBasss

Dec 13, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    East Coast Sales Coordinator - Crafter Guitars
    I've got an Epi Goth too, and love it. They are great for the money and have a great growl to them. Have fun with it.