Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My exp with Ashdown, my drummer got better ear than me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NOCEMANOVELOCE, Oct 3, 2003.

1. My drummer has got a far better ear than mine (a multiinstrumentalist)! And likes to ear me playing good music.

My ABM 200 is old, bought it second hand 3 yrs ago. I have replaced the 15' cone with a Kappa 400W on 8 ohms by Eminence in January, becuse the old Celestion was farting and producing no more sound above 3/4 of power. Now I have twice as much power and bass. However to sound decent I am employing an EBS Multicomp into the SansAmp Bass Driver DI into the gain of the amp.
    This Ashdown it's not bad, but not clean and flexible enough, i don't care about the sub-octave.
    By the way expert like Steve Lawson or anybody is there anything you can raccomend to add on this basic rig, maybe the mag 210 or any of the Mini's?
    :confused:

2. 2pods

2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    Scotland
    I'm using a ABM500 and two mini8's and it sounds clean and loud to me.
    Mind you, I'm running my compressor(TC Triple C) through the loop.

I throughly recommend the mini's

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got an RPM-1 preamp and it's very flexible to me. On the topic of the sub-harmoniser, I never use it all of the time.

4. I use Ampeg. Because it is slightly graining, grundgy thick bass.

Great for heavy music.

5. I am allured by the idea of the Mini48 but I didn't had the chance to hera them. The main doubt is can they deliver good bottom end as well?

Thanks mates, for your replies.

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Did you put a new driver in an Ashdown cab?
    In that case your cab is probably not matched for or tuned for that new driver. That could create some strange sounding results.
    Also 200W @ 4ohm is not a lot of power. Since the drver is 8 ohms youll get even less headroom (100W maybe?) before the amp clips, farts or distorts.