1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My experence with the new VM basses so far.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tommygunn, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I've played 2. The Jag at a GC in Clear Lake and the new Jazz up here at Rockin Robins.

On both the frets stuck out from the neck (its hard to describe), but like then you're running up and down the neck you can feel the frets in your palm. The Jag had a terrible setup, but I don't expect any less from that GC. The Jag was REALLY HOT! I loved the tone, out of the p more so than the back pup, but it was still awesome. The jazz's over all feel of the neck was pretty good, which I thought was strange because I've hated the necks on all the normal VM jazzes I've played. The neck pup solo'd was pretty hot, but the neck all the way up with slight volume on the bridge pup was REALLY FUNKY. It had an awesome funk tone, and decent slap tone (w/ knowing that I can't slap to save my life.

One thing I hated above all, was the raw necks. I hate raw maple (IMHO one of the few flaws in my musicman).

Just my 2cents.

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    That's called "fret sprout" and is the result of the environmental changes during shipping causing shrinkage in the dimensions of the neck/fingerboard so the frets "sprout". It's usually handled by dressing down the offending fret ends.

3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Man I always thought it just meant it was a sh!tty bass.

4. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    No, but if you buy a bass or guitar retail with fret sprout, they should offer to dress the frets for you for free.

One way guitar makers cope with fret sprout is to bind the fingerboard, hence the distinctive look of 70s Jazz Basses.

5. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    i've played all three of the 'new' VM basses, the jag, the blocked neck j and the natural-looking p. sorry, i don't know the specific model names/numbers in this series. i've yet to be impressed by any of them. i wanted the jag and planned to buy one, until i played a couple. of the three, i'd give the highest marks to the p, but i still wouldn't (won't) buy any of them. they all just seemed to have a 'cheap' look and feel to me. i can't comment on the sound, perhaps they're wonderful in that regard. if a bass doesn't impress my when i hold it in my hands and play it unamplified, i won't even bother plugging it in. for the extra few bux, i'm sticking with the CV series. to each his own, ymmv, blah, blah, blah...

6. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    If the Jag had a bound fingerboard, I probably would have bought one. Really liked the sound of the P pickup on that bass. Didn't like the flimsy knobs and the controls were weird. Also didn't like the finish on the back of the neck. So, no for me.

7. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I've played the new VM jag, 77 Jazz, and the P.

The Jag was the worst of the three - the tone knobs were extremely difficult to turn, the detents were terrible, the unfinished neck felt really cheap and there were dead spots all over the neck. Maybe just a lemon but it was a bad experience.

The 77 Jazz was the best of the three. Looked very nice and played well with a nice tone. The only problem was dead spots on the neck. I expect dead spots on the G string around frets 6/7. But both the jazz and the jag had dead spots on the E string frets 3,4 & 5. Can't deal with that. Fret dress might fix it but out of the box the quality what very poor.

The P played very nice but the tone was underwhelming. I really wanted to like this bass too.

So I'm out this year. If I could find one of those 77's that wasn't a dog I'd be very tempted though.

8. Third Rock

Third Rock

Jun 7, 2004
    I am planning on getting a VM Precision. I like the amber color, and
    maple neck with the satin finish. I hope I'm not making a blunder in getting it over
    the Classic Vibe 60s precision!

9. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Extended frets is a design flaw and I too dislike raw maple fingerboards.

I think the VM are what they are -- a decent cheap instrument. The CV's are special.

10. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Is that really so? How can you make an instrument in the summer with frets of the correct width that won't have fret sprout come winter?

11. tripp2k

tripp2k

Oct 31, 2010
    DFW-TX
    I'm in the market and curious why you think the CVs are a notch above the VMs? Thanks in advance.

12. Quite frankly, I've had none of these problems with the two VM's I have, the natural Jazz and amber P, both are excellent in all aspects, no fret sprout, fit and finish,overall consrtuction, tone and playability, both bought online, sight unseen.
    Oh, and they are great, not just "for the money" either, they would be excellent value at twice the price.

13. Whether or not they are is a matter of opinion. The only sure thing is, on average the CV's cost about $50 - 70 more.

14. I thought the 77 had a bound neck? Is the neck binding painted on these then? Or are the fret tangs poking out?

BnB

15. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I think its painted.

16. On the Squier website the specs says the neck on the '77 is bound, and the blocks are inlays. As that's the way it is on my natural finished VM Jazz, I believe I can safely assume that it's true for the '77 as well. As far as the fret tangs poking out, that is not necessarily common to Squiers, as neither one of my VM's have that problem, and only the Jazz has the bound neck.

17. It's not.

18. I get some serious extremes in humidity here in the high desert. I go from single digit to 85% in a day or so and I have yet to have any troubles with fret sprout except on an old classical acoustic six string guitar.

I just ignore it for the most part, although I de-clawed the ends a little by making them rounded.

The bindings and inlays are real and I wonder when people are gonna stop this nonsense of making such facetious statements?

Fret sprout is normal if thermal/humidity extremes are met and certain other-then-cheap circumstances are exceeded.

Setups can never even be considered in the running for a good verses bad guitar either.

There are screws and adjustments to make and if you are serious about playing bass then this should not mystify you nor condemn any bass if it's not the way you like it.

We are humans and therefor capable of changing things that we want to have 'our way'.

So I wouldn't be blasting GC for a bad setup if you don't like it - be human, or better yet, be a human who is also a bass-player and make those changes when you buy the instrument.

Putting jack-nuts back on or tying your shoes are about in the same category as intonation, string height and truss rod settings - ---

----Easy-peasy

19. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    I hear lots of people saying the Jag P pickup sounds great, but when you check the website it lists the pickup as the PB101, which is the same precision PU as used in both of the VM Precision basses.

If you guys liked the Jag P tone, check out the VM p basses its the same pickup!

I played the first VM Jazz for about a year and loved it. It was old model, like right when they came out and it was made so well. I'm starting to think that as squier is expanding the product line of VM basses its losing quality control because no one was complaining about the original three VM's last year.

I wonder if its true if we will see this loss in the CV series when new ones come out ?

20. That's incendiary and not totally the truth. I really a have deep appreciation for my VMs. I'm not complaining at all.

Have they done away with anything for QC reasons in a whole line?

One of the MOST maligned bass runs are those that 'Fender-People' say are total junk - the MiMs.

Yet - I see MiMs coming and going at my GC all the time.

I even bought one that was kinda orphaned into a corner - but I later found out why: the store-guys liked to play it during their lunches and breaks so they kinda hid it in plain view.

One thing I fail to understand is how/why can one person take down a bass and screw their eyes up and make disgusting noises and put it back --- while three minutes later someone else comes in, grabs the same bass and can't wait to get out the store with it fast enough to take it home and play it.

I've seen this in not only Fenders, but Ibanezessessess, Gibson T-Birds and MMs too.

Face it - bassists aren't just tone whores- we wrote the book on whoredom.