1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my experience at GC today.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zraigy7, Aug 29, 2008.

1. zraigy7

zraigy7

Aug 24, 2008
    mobile
    well today after school i rode down to the local GC to pick me up a Squire Vintage Modified jazz bass. i tried it out and liked it. it wasnt too heavy and i liked the looks and sound. so i decided to buy a $60 amp with it for times sake. The amp was on sale. the bass was on sale from $280 and i could get it for $220. SO i went to buy it and i ended up being 20 dollars short of the bass itself cuz my mom borrowed $20. i was going to pay with my dads credit card but they didnt take numbers over the phone they needed the card itself. So i called them after i left and asked them to hold it til tomorrow morning. They said they would. So tomorrow morning i am going and buying it when they open haha. i might also buy an extra pack of strings. also can i use an electric guitar tuner for the bass? if so i will use my cousins cuz i dont have the money atm.

2. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Sounds good, glad it's working out for you! Yes, the tuner will work fine with the bass. Don't forget to buy a guitar cord, if you need one.

3. I have the same Bass and can't believe how nice it is for the money. The Guitar Tuner should work fine. For practice I run my Bass through my laptop Mic input and play through my Logitech Speakers with a Subwoofer - get a pretty cool sound. If you have a PC with a Sound Card and some decent speakers try that - might work and save you from buying an Amp. You'll need a cable with the 1/4 inch plug with an adapter to take it down to the mini plug for the computer side.

Congrats!!

4. zraigy7

zraigy7

Aug 24, 2008
    mobile
    thanks for the support guys. Tomorrow when i go to GC i am gonna get the amp(just cuz i weant to play in my room in peace) and acord if i need to. Also i am going to be teaching myself to play bass. If you could please post some sites that will help me learn for free also do i need to learn many chords or just learn to read tabs(already know how from playing a lil electric guitar)? thanks again.

5. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Does the practice amp have a headphone out? I love the headphone out on my practice amp I tend to like to play bass late at night when everyones sleeping. As for tabs I figure most of the stuff out by ear, But I doubt you can do that yet. When I was lazy I used mxtabs.com but I think they got shut down. I know ultimate-guitar.com has bass tabs im not really sure how accurate they are though.

6. cllsbass

cllsbass

Mar 9, 2008
    I would definitely advise against using tab. Really, the whole purpose of notation is communicating with musicians, and, with tab, it becomes a whole lot harder to do just that (plus you can't write rhythms with tab). Try to learn how to read music on your own or, if possible, a teacher.

7. zraigy7

zraigy7

Aug 24, 2008
    mobile
    cllsbass i think i am going to start learning a few songs with tabs and trying to learn to read music on the way. do u know any sites that might help.

8. Here's the one I go to.
    www.studybass.com

9. like the capn said www.studybass.com also the general instruction area here you will find some good stuff http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22
    I got directed to the libster when I joined http://thelibster.com/bass/
    and of course just do a search here there is a request for what websites to go to to learn about daily. my suggestion as a total beginner. and just so you know Im pretty much a newbie too.. is try and afford at least one or two lessons with a good pro to at least get a coupple technique things down so you dont start out with bad habits that you might decide later you want to change

and the number one thing to remember is " bass is fun!" try not to forget that one.:bassist:

10. zraigy7

zraigy7

Aug 24, 2008
    mobile
    any1 else got any more info?

11. i wouldnt learn too many chords but here is a few simple ones i use frequently in my writing

an octave
    G-----7-----:ninja:
    D-----------:ninja:
    A-----5-----:ninja:
    E-----------:ninja:

5th
    G-----5-----:ninja:
    D-----------:ninja:
    A-----5-----:ninja:

7th
    G-----7-----:ninja:
    D-----5-----:ninja:
    A-----------:ninja:

4th
    G-----4-----:ninja:
    D-----5-----:ninja:
    A-----------:ninja:

and you can move all these to any position on the neck :bassist:

any one have any others that are useful or just fun to play?

(p.s. the names may not be entirely accurate so feel free to correct me if im wrong):bag:

12. Left Left Goose

Left Left Goose Banned

Aug 19, 2008
    wow, do you know if that bass is on sale at ALL GC? or do certain locations have certain LIST items?

get the Bass Method book with Ed Friedland by Hal Leonard
    its great! it teaches technique (1st position, 2nd position ect....) aswell as many songs, chords, walking basslines, and more; it has notation as well as tabs if u want them
    its like $12 and comes with a DVD of Ed Friedland walking you through the book

i still watch it and learn new things each time

13. zraigy7

zraigy7

Aug 24, 2008
    mobile
    left left goose i would think its on sale at all GC cuz its a list item and thanks for those sites im gonna try to read notes not just tabs

14. save your money and get a good bass, no squire por favor.

15. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I believe we have it on sale at my store as well. It's a big sale :D

16. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY

It actually a really nice Squier. Especially for the price.

17. antdedyet

antdedyet

Nov 28, 2006
    Gadsden, AL
    http://www.activebass.com/ is a nice study resource.

+1 on any gary willis has to offer lesson wise

I have only recently started looking at http://thelibster.com/bass/ - it's turning out to be pretty resourceful, but I don't recall any special features due to my lack of repetitiveness on visiting there.

18. antdedyet

antdedyet

Nov 28, 2006
    Gadsden, AL
    Warwick's site just came to mind ... they had a wood shedding section I believe they called it with some nice bass stuff.

Also ... don't forget to subscribe to Bass Player mag!

19. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Um. not sure what you're saying here but I believe, using the lower note as the root. It should be as follows:

an octave
    G-----7-----
    D-----------:
    A-----5-----
    E-----------:

b7th (regular 7th in a minor scale)
    G-----5-----
    D-----------:
    A-----5-----
    E-----------:

perfect 5th
    G-----7-----