1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My experience today with Guitar Center...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DOMIT, Mar 2, 2016.

1. DOMIT

DOMIT

Feb 16, 2016
    About a week ago I went with my son to Guitar Center in Arlington, TX. I was looking for a case for him as well as picking up the Acoustic amp (B450mkII, used) that I had ordered from another store.

They had what I THOUGHT was the same body style guitar as his, so we tried that in a case, and ordered one. (He has a Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6... the one we tried in the case was ALSO a Solo 6, but not EXACTLY the same model. I thought the difference was color, trim, and pickups, but...)

The case came in, so we went to pick it up... and... it didn't fit. The body on his was just slightly too wide. The guy at the desk go the customer service manager, and he apologized (which it wasn't REALLY their fault, more mine!) He worked with us to find a case that worked for his guitar, and even though there was a VERY substantial price difference, sold it to us for that.

So often people complain about the various stores... I just wanted to share a positive customer service experience with those guys. I was really impressed.

2. I never had issues with them....

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Guitar Center is not closing.

4. I hate them they hate me. Only reason we do business together is because when I go in and play basses they make sales and I get an employee discount because of it.

Ductapeman and PortlandBass77 like this.
  5. woah that was unexpected from the title! Glad you had a great experience, thanks for posting.

6. Murdoc_420

Murdoc_420

Jan 20, 2016
    Colorado
    I've only been to one once.

Did some ripping Smoke on the Water solos and left.

(not really, but someone else WAS playing it lol)

Howlin' Hanson likes this.
  7. Smoke on the Water is pretty boring on bass, at least the real bass line is, IMHO.
    Lay down some N.I.B. next time.

8. My local GC sucks....they ran off off of the sales people with any knowledge or skill and employ dead eyed zombie hipsters that don't know a patch cord from a midi cable....sigh

i try not to go in there but when i do all they EVER have are fenders and ibby's and acoustic amps....selection bites!

9. DOMIT

DOMIT

Feb 16, 2016
    I like Acoustic amps... my B450kII is great! (Heavy though!)

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Learn it note for note and then come back and say that.

Or even just one verse, note for note.

11. Magicrat

Magicrat

Jan 25, 2016
    My local GC in Fort Worth sucks, most of the staff would struggle selling fries at McD's. I was looking for somewhere to buy equipment from when I moved here from the UK and hoped these would be the guys but alas no, could not even order the correct guitar strap buttons for me, I told them at the time I was looking at some major purchases over the next couple of months. Oh well there loss Two US deluxe fenders and an Ibanez plus lots of other extras later and not one thing from GC.

12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    WAAAAAAAAA!!!!!:crying:

13. Challenge Accepted!

I ran through it three times this morning. I hadn't played it since I owned a Playstation 3, which is how I learned it. It was one of the first songs I learned, since I started on guitar.

I am by no means calling Roger Glover a slouch, or even saying that the song is easy. I just find the isolated bass line boring.
    Maybe it would sound better with some crunch.

IMG_20160304_114331562_HDR.

I was only able to play it note-for-note to 97%, because there are twenty notes that slip past me during Blackmore's solo.
    After only 3 playthroughs, my fretting fingers were starting to get numb, so it's not exactly easy.

14. I find myself in that same Arlington GC, from time to time.
    They spent months remodeling, only to end up with less of everything.
    Bass dept is about half of what it was.
    I did score a bass there for a killer deal.
    Someone had managed to tie the wrong hang tag on it,
    so it rang up at $115, instead of the $159 it was suppose to be.
    They said that since it rang up at that, they had to charge that.
    Snce it was now well under my budget, I got a used case for it
    with the difference.

15. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I've always liked the Arlington store, never had a bad trip there.

16. I go to two GC's in the Denver-Metro area. My experiences with both are like the OP every time, and have been for the past 12 years.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  17. You can't fit your axe into an ill-fitting case every time?
    :smug:

18. NoBlackTShirts

NoBlackTShirts

Feb 23, 2010
    I don't know how the Guitar Center here in Hooterville stays in business. No Peavey, which whether you like it or not rings the cash registers. All the guitars are like stuff that never sold and are still just hanging around. No Jazzmasters. No blonde or natural Telecasters. Only two of the Fender Rumble line.

19. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Mine used to be good, now sucks. Wanted to try a stingray, ric, and a gk mb800. Last I read in there 3 years ago there was a good chance they'd have those items. Now it was all beginner garbage

20. DOMIT

DOMIT

Feb 16, 2016
    Ok, so drive to the Arlington one. I've found them to be friendly and helpful. Also the one on 635 in Dallas, same experience although I didn't buy anything there.

As for the Arlington store, since just before Christmas I bought a guitar amp, a bass amp, an acoustic guitar, cases for both my bass and my son's electric guitar, and a bunch of accessory stuff. They're my go-to shop.

Magicrat likes this.