My experience with a Geddy Lee Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ShantiCat, Jan 23, 2005.

1. ShantiCat

ShantiCat Supporting Member

I am not a “Fender” kind of guy. I think they are ugly, have necks like tree trunks, and have too many quality control issues…until I played a Geddy Lee (GL). I recently bought one from another TBer for a good price and just recently sold it to another TBer. So here are some of my thoughts;
    Overall for the money, you cannot go wrong if this is your sound. I thought I had my sound; I play a Ken Lawrence (KL) five string through an EA combo. But the bottom end of the GL just floored me. All that heavy wood just gave it a real thick bass sound and what was nice is that you could play this bass quite aggressively and it responded. While I had it, I never even touched my KL. However I could never come to terms with the other side of the bass, its lack of focused rich tone like the KL. Now I probably should never compare these two basses but the GL taught me a valuable lesson. I want a similar Fender style bass but with a rosewood type fret board, but with a higher level of quality, and a fifth sting.

As for the neck, the tree trunk impression went out the window. This GL neck was thin and fast. Again for those that play a KL you will know what I mean about a thin neck so the GL was a great surprise. My issue was taking the neck off just to adjust it. When I bought this bass it really needed a good overhaul. I set the relief and shimmed the neck as there was no shim at all but I had to take this neck off so many times to get it just right, it annoyed me. Also I am not a fan of one piece necks and I never will be. I always wonder is this the day it decides to take a twist in the road.

So overall the look, the playability, the thick bottom end, and the price made this bass a keeper. The lack of the fifth string, the inability to adjust it with the neck on, and the one piece neck make it not for me. Maybe I need a Sadowsky…
  2. I cannot believe the words.

The Jazz is the sexiest bass in existence. Full stop. And having the luxury of being a right-hander, and being able to actually play a GL, well, it makes me cry.

Boo totally to Fender for forgetting us lefties, makes me feel like I am a refugee in the bass world. Guess why I just spent $4500 on a Musicman, Fender girlys????
  3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    with that amount of money you could go custom, custom made instruments dont usually have the lefty upcharge.
  4. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    ...Um? Isn't there an opening for truss rod adjustmend at the headstock, thereby removing the need to remove the neck? There's been one on every Geddy I've ever seen....
  5. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    just out of curiosity southpaw, how come u spent so much on a MM i spend about 900 bucks on mine, ive never heard of a MM costing so much
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No, the truss rod on the Geddy is down by the joint with the body.
    Nino-Brown routed a truss rud access slot into his GL body, so he could make adjustments without taking the neck off.
    The Fender Dirnt Precision is the same way also.

I had a GL Jazz for a couple of months, the neck was nice and thin but I just couldn't warm to it for some reason.
  7. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I adjust my GL neck without removing the neck, I did have to remove the pickguard at first then I just slightly filed down a small route by the neck adjustment on the pickguard not the body. I can easily adjust the neck if needbe with a Phillips scewdriver.
  8. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    One the headstock there is a clear plastic piece in the spot where normally the adjustment slot on other jazz basses sits. This is what you thought was an opening. On the GL, it is at the bottom of the neck.

9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I guess mine was the only one that came from Fender set up. I haven't even thought of messing with the setup. she plays perfectly! :bassist:
  10. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    No Chuck,
    Mine actually came set up pretty good and it was hanging on the wall for who knows how long!
    I have had it sitting in my living room out it's bag since I bought it two weeks ago, The weather in New york has gne from 60 degree's to 10 dergree's with wind chill factor -15 or 20. I have had to compensate for temp changes in my crib but nothing drastic.
  11. Quencher

Jan 11, 2005
    Ged used this jazz bass in their video " Rush In Rio" and I noticed he did't use a bass amp, but went direct through the PA with an ( puke*) amp-imulater ( ergo the dryers in place of amps on stage). I wasn't impressed with the live sound he got. The GL basses we get at work (GC) dont stay on the shelves long, but I've gotten to spend some quality time with them as they come in. I've never been a big fan of the maple neck, especially tone-wise, but I think the big inlays make up a bit for it. Smooth keys and the Badass II bridge combine for great playability.

Southpaw: Badass makes a lefty bridge and you can replace the nut and just play it upside down??? Keep us posted if you get Fender to make a lefty of the GL model, I know alot of customers of GC would appreciate it, not to mention alot of lefty's an awesome bass for the price.
  12. ShantiCat

As my post states I changed my mind about Fenders, they way they look, feel and sound. I was wondering why it took me this long in life to finally see the beauty in the traditional jazz shape.
  13. ShantiCat

If I had kept the bass this is what I would have done. I also would have routed out the pickguard to make it even easier. I would guess that having such a thin neck may make it more susceptible to the changing environment whereby minor adjustments would be needed.
  14. MaHei

Dec 24, 2002
    Australian $ as it seems.
  15. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    The thin neck is the reason I don't like the geddy. I like a regular jazz best. Maple board of course ;)

16. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    You can get a new truss rod nut from stewmac with the spokewheel adjustment. It screws directly on the Fender truss rod. Then file, drill or route a small cavity in the body for it to slide into. Notch the pickguard, and bingo!

That's what I did. No more neck removals for me.
  17. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    $4500 AUD?!? The list price on the 'Ray5s should be 3000 something. I've seen them for about $2300-2500 new. I just got a used one for $1250AUD on the 'Bay.

Of course, these are all righty prices...

But with $4500 you could've ordered a Sadowsky, I think :p (or maybe not, Metros don't come in LH :()

18. My Geddy Lee arrived set up quite nicely, actually. Nice low action, no fret buzz, and a lovely growly sound!!

Thanks again, Tim!

(the second TBer mentioned in the first post of this thread)
  19. ShantiCat

Glad you like it. it will grow on you even more.