Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My experimental band.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Sonorous, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Here.

The song, "When On Mars" is the only song we actually seriously tried to record correctly.

"Its like your laughing" is a song that we had most of it written, but there was a day when I had to work and I missed some writing. So I started playing whatever I felt like towards the end. I didn't know what the guitar and keyboards where playing so I what I play sounds like crap.

2. Well I like it. I like it a lot.

Besides being cool, When on Mars has a great title, because, of course, it infers the statement "When on Mars, do as the Martians do." All the songs posted there sound great!

EDIT: They could really use some melodies though. It's almost like the songs are just backings, begging for some sort of lead instrument -- like vocals (gasp, isn't that what they all say to vocal-less bands), or echoey lead guitar.

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Yep. We, or at least I, are aware of the lack of melodies. We don't plan on getting vocals, but we're trying to do something about it.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I can't show a true appreciation of the songs due to my connection, I keep buffering, but I dig it. Very light and floaty... indie if you will. ;) I like the drumming on "Mars" a whole lot. Very nice use of the splash and ride bell. I don't know how experimental it sound. I don't know how to cure your "lack of melody." I might just consider more variation/changes. If it became too melodic it would have the ambient feel... some people strive to write that "background music" kind of music. And this is getting there.

It sounds like a bad thing, but people don't want to listen to Slayer all the time. This kind of stuff is really nice when you are not suppose to focus on it. BUT It still needs more, this stuff is more soundtracky. I like music like this to not keep my attention all time time, but when something pops up that does get me, my ears say, "Whoa." I dig that.

Have you ever heard of the band "Animal Collective." Check them out for inspiration. They are like folky/ambient/noise music, but they are fairly "backgroundy." But it keeps interest at the same time.

You just need to add a little more "experimentation" to your experimental music and you'll be cool beans. All the art kids will love ya. ;)

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Thanks for the advice Matt, I'll be sure to check out some Animal Collective.

Maybe we could add something Tortoise-like to it.

6. XSquigyX

XSquigyX

Jan 4, 2005
    Very emo; I absolutely dig it. As already stated your drummer makes good use of the ride bell and is very creative imo. I sat back and closed my eyes for "When On Mars." Excellent job. :hyper:

EDIT: I've listened to this song three times now, I'm in love. lol

7. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Yeah, I love our drummer.

8. Yeah, I'm not sure I'd go with getting a vocalist, just because that would tend to make your band more pop-ish.

Would you mind if I did some experimentation with your song and post an MP3 here?

9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Animal Collective are hella sweet! Definately check them out.

I saw them live, had to leave before the end of their set, but of what I saw they are a great live band. Nice guys too.

I think it'd be nice to add some noise. White noise, pink noise, distortion, synth or loop feedback through some effects pedals. I think it would be a nice counter point to the sort of dreamy pop you have going as it is.

Here are some experimental/noise/electronic groups that I think would be cool to check out.
    Can't
    http://www.irfp.net/Cant.html

Kites
    http://www.loadrecords.com/bands/kites.html

Donna Parker
    http://www.donnaparker.net/

Bobby Birdman
    http://www.statesrightsrecords.com/bobbybirdman/

The Audio Dregs Record label site
    http://www.audiodregs.com/main.html

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Cool, thanks for the music Against Will.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Another band that is actually really good at keeping my interest in a floaty instrumental way is the Cure. Quite a few songs on the Kiss me Kiss me Kiss me album are instrumental for 4-5 minutes then add vocals for 30 seconds. This is the only album I've heard from them, but it's can be an album I listen to as background music or regular music.

12. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Geoff, have you came up with anything?

13. It's mostly me fiddling around with melodies on my fiddle.. er... guitar over the songs. I'll post something soon, thanks for reminding me.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If I could hook my midi keyboard up right now, I'd add some stuff. We should all make a version of this song. :D