My extensive website on Jason Newsted's gear

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lokire, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Hi everyone, I have been a Huge Jason Newsted fan for a long time. He is the one that made me want to start playing bass. I have always loved the great variety of basses that he has played on stage but no website has done an adequete job of describing them for me so I made my own site complete with tons of info and pictures of his gear and basses.

I started about two months ago and have been updating it every day or two since then. It's grown very large now with 48 of Jason's basses so far and more to come. Plus, lots of pics and info on his effects and rack equipment.

So check it out and let me know what you think. A lot of research and hard work went into this site.

And if you've got anything you'd like to contribute, let me know.

2. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    kickass site! The man has quite a history.

I got pictures with Jason when I was at Ozzfest, so when my friend gets em developed, I'll scan em and post them, and you can use those somewhere if you want.
  3. Very nice site! I love the pics! This guy has some extremely coooooooool basses! Thanks for the pics!
  4. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    Nice job, he's been a long time favorite of mine too. He was the inspiration to pick up the bass again after putting it down for 13 years. That was almost 10 yrs ago. I was very sad when he left Metallica. Great job on the site. Lot's of good info.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Very cool site BUT I think you should break the page up into about 3-5 pages cause I have a slow connection & it's taking a long time to load, to say the least.
  6. great site:)

do you know what tuning he had on the Alembic 6string he used on the Black album tours?

on the "Year and a half in the life of pt.2" video it looked like he wasn't using the lowest string, and the 2nd lowest string was tuned to low D :confused:

this bass looked to me to be a parts bass- possibly Warmoth (21st fret on fretboard overhang).
  7. Hmm... I'm not sure. He used it only to play "Sad But True" and The recorded version of that song is tuned C G D A on a four string bass. The bass book that I have also says that It is really played on a five-string tuned down one whole step and that the above 4-string tuning simulates the bottom four string of that 5-string tuning. But live, they might down-tune the song even more so I don't know.:confused:
  8. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Excellent!!! Jason is one of my favorite players and who I think I sound most like... a huge influence on me
  9. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I checked your website out 2 weeks ago. Brilliant job!!! Very informative and nicely done. I had it bookmarked.
  10. Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    :eek: i didnt know he had so many basses:eek: :bassist: :)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

THAT IS A GREAT SITE, THANK YOU. Jason is a huge influence on me i think you really got it down with that site. 2 things Jason pick guard on the vintage 4 black is pearliod and are you sure the 2 24 fret basses are alder?. You did a great job and you should be proud of your self.:bassist:
  12. Very nice! A few things: Unknown Fender #3 has 20 frets, not 21. And #4 is not a Tele bass, but something similar. I read about them not long ago... It's definitely not a P-bass... I'll get back to you on that one.
  13. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Awesome website! I enjoyed it very much.:D
  14. Great job on the site man! I learned a lot from it. Keep up the good work :):)
  15. Hey Lokire, nice website.. But I have question..

Is the grean Dean bass really a Dean? .. I mean, I'm sure it is not exactly a Dean since it has that V on the headstock.. I know that it stands for Vi- something, I can't recall the name of the brand.. but.. Is that brand a pre-Dean company or what's with it?
  16. Yes, It really is a dean. It took me a while to figure it out but the logo on the headstock is actually the dean "D" which is tilted sideways a little bit. I e-mailed dean about it and they quickly replied saying that it was "an early dean edge bass" and gave me all the info that is listed on my site now.

Thanks for the comments and support everyone. I think that soon I will be ready to start on Jason's amps and cabs.
  17. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I think i read somewhere that he owns one of Gene Simmons orignal Axe basses, too.
  18. There was a rumor that Jason had purchased the original Gene Simmons axe bass but I have confirmed that this is not true. It was just a rumor.
  19. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    oh, okay. That's probably the first thing I'd buy if I were to land a spot in a huge band like that :D :bassist:
  20. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Very cool website, but I agree with Nino-Brown, I think you should break the page up into about 3-5 pages.